What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

21 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Former label SABA now ----> MPS

Alto Summit - producer Joachim Erndt  Berendt

39785818ei.jpg

39785784ke.jpg

39785785ii.jpg

Yes , those were the days. SABA later MPS produced a lot of Beautiful stuff then. And Joachim Ernst Berendt was a key figure for me when I was a Young Boy. His "Jazzbook" was the ideal guide for me as a jazz starter to dig into the history of jazz, the musicians, the styles, the bands, the records, everything. Later he would write books that seemed more strange to me, to much exotic Philosophy, but the "Jazzbook" still is an important item in my jazz library….

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes , those were the days. SABA later MPS produced a lot of Beautiful stuff then. And Joachim Ernst Berendt was a key figure for me when I was a Young Boy. His "Jazzbook" was the ideal guide for me as a jazz starter to dig into the history of jazz, the musicians, the styles, the bands, the records, everything. Later he would write books that seemed more strange to me, to much exotic Philosophy, but the "Jazzbook" still is an important item in my jazz library….

23 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Berendt ‘Jazzbook’ in the English paperback was one of the first books on jazz  I ever read. Still have it.

Well yes had  about the same experience like you both and  still have my first "The Jazzbook" and a later edition as guideline.  He was voted for some time as CEO of the Berlin Jazz fFestival and introduced many (at that time far out and unknown artists). Produces also some albums whuch are really good.  I do agree about his later work. Jazz wasnt enough anymore after he was voted as "professor" and did lectures. I have corresponded with him about leaving the road of jazz. At that time he way allready away in these strange philosopies and had left the radio station SWF  after taking with him the complete collection he had buildt with the stations money. But somehow the judges gave him right.

Now we should say De mortuis nihil nisi bene

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

5 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Well yes had  about the same experience like you both and  still have my fist "The Jazzbook" and a later edition as guideline. ...

Same here ...

39795041wm.jpg

39795044uy.jpg

Joachim Ernst Behrendt. Das Jazzbuch. Entwicklung und Bedeutung der Jazzmusik. [Fischer Bücherei. Bücher des Wissens 48]. Frankfurt/M. - Hamburg Oktober 1953

16 hours ago, optatio said:

39795041wm.jpg

39795044uy.jpg

Joachim Ernst Behrendt. Das Jazzbuch. Entwicklung und Bedeutung der Jazzmusik. [Fischer Bücherei. Bücher des Wissens 48]. Frankfurt/M. - Hamburg Oktober 1953

Yes the original and the new enlarged edition - still in use here and then.

These were the times (no Internet at all) but only snail mail. We did survive it.

39799331bc.jpg

and how about this

39799210bj.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more pix and text

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Yes the original and the new enlarged edition - still in use here and then.

These were the times (no Internet at all) but only snail mail. We did survive it.

39799331bc.jpg

and how about this

39799210bj.jpg

why arent custom shirts popular anymore- it seems like something people would still want

27 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

why arent custom shirts popular anymore- it seems like something people would still want

Huh? In this day and age you can go online at I don't know how many different site, create a design and have it in your hands in about 10 days or less.

I've designed many t-shirts at Zazzle.com and used other companies for shirts Zazzle refused to make (supposed rights infringement).

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Huh? In this day and age you can go online at I don't know how many different site, create a design and have it in your hands in about 10 days or less.

I've designed many t-shirts at Zazzle.com and used other companies for shirts Zazzle refused to make (supposed rights infringement).

the letter shirts were hella popular in the late 70s though, like on thress company everyone used to wear them, or ones like this- 

Keep it clean with Al Jardine t-shirts, shower...

15 hours ago, jazztrain said:

It appeared later as this:

R-2498292-1362871295-1834.jpeg.jpg

thanks! much better for me. 

On 11/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, jcam_44 said:

R-2580315-1291489416.jpeg.jpg

John Surman - Anglo-Sax. Picked this up today and a local shop that has appointment shopping.  

Not sure why they gave this a different name and album cover for the US. 

my guess is they wanted it to pop out in the racks in the psychedelic late '60s... much prefer the UK design, though. Lovely record.

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

my guess is they wanted it to pop out in the racks in the psychedelic late '60s... much prefer the UK design, though. Lovely record.

That makes a lot of sense. I prefer the UK design as well. Its an interesting record given the juxtaposition between side 1 and side 2. 

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-3903629-1348689233-8101.jpeg.jpg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji [Victor]

really enjoying the first listen to this.

Thanks again HutchFan :tup

This again. 

Side One, track one is unbelievably good. Like a Pharoah Impulse but with trumpet

Edited by mjazzg