• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

‘The Artful Dodger’ on Concord is worth checking out. Includes a snippet of him soloing on drums as ‘Kid Krupa’ with Glenn Miller’s AAFB during WW2 as a very young prodigy !

Update on the Riverside. Marked T/P on the inner so test pressing it is I guess.

Edited by sidewinder

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack. Original mono BLP 4177, in pretty decent shape. Picked up, strangely, in a flea market in Reykjavik in early March 2019. Apart from a local soccer club shirt for my boy, this was the only souvenir I took home from the island, an amazing, other-worldly place. And the music is smoking good, as if anyone can argue that. I'll always associate it with Iceland now. 

R-2005643-1352579647-5203.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

58 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Nice! I picked up a mint  2-eye for $3 in the bargain bin at the old Academy Records in NYC around 2001, then a six-eye, also on the cheap. These could be had for a song, but not any more. 
Enjoy! 

Actually, in these parts you can still get lucky at Half Priced Books. This was $7 about a year ago.

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Holiday six-eye, or two-eye? 

Is there an actual reason to care other than some obscure obsessive "record collector" reason? Is one heavier, higher quality vinyl? Is it like RVG wax vs Liberty-era reissue?  I've bought Liberty-era and been perfectly content with the result but then again I don't have a special rig and don't actually "listen" to vinyl, I transfer to digital, clean up egregious pops and clicks, and enjoy on CDR.

In my experience, the six-eye Columbias are uniformly well-pressed, with high quality control, on top notch vinyl. I reflects across the genres, not just jazz, but classical as well. If I see a clean Columbia Masterworks stereo six-eye classical album, I buy it, because I know it'll be a delight to listen to. So, yes, it's not just the 'collector' instinct, but it also plays part, of course. I like the sturdy covers, well-printed artwork that was designed by talented professionals. So yeah, much like the Blue Notes, its; the whole package.

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

In my experience, the six-eye Columbias are uniformly well-pressed, with high quality control, on top notch vinyl. I reflects across the genres, not just jazz, but classical as well. If I see a clean Columbia Masterworks stereo six-eye classical album, I buy it, because I know it'll be a delight to listen to. So, yes, it's not just the 'collector' instinct, but it also plays part, of course. I like the sturdy covers, well-printed artwork that was designed by talented professionals. So yeah, much like the Blue Notes, its; the whole package.

Agreed, six eye pressings sound uniformly great, though for me the real qualify drop off is post-two eye pressings.

Duke Ellington, The Ellington Era 1927-1940, Volume 2 (Columbia, two eye)Image result for Duke Ellington the ellington era 1927-1940 volume 2

Bill-Evans-Live-at-Ronnie-Scotts-Cover.j

First spin of the new Resonance, copy #795. Considering the sound source, quite acceptable sonics, better than expected in fact and what seems to be an excellent pressing. Great music by this trio and the live atmosphere at Scott’s is well captured (:tup). Recommended !

The trio were at Scott’s for a month during that stint and the cohesion and ease with the venue shows in the performance.

Edited by sidewinder