• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished: Tor Lundvall's "Yule", only recently released on vinyl. I was able to get a copy of the "peppermint" vinyl.

DAIS159_mockup_peppermint_03.jpg?v=15989

Now playing: Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At (Blue Note/Tone Poet). I don't know why, but as much of a Turrentine fan as I am, this date never really resonated with me. Maybe it's McCann's piano work?

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At LP (Tone Poet Series) – Blue Note  Records

Scott Robinson - Multiple Instruments (Multijazz Records). Robinson plays (not all at once) Trumpet, Soprano Sax, Tenor Sax, C-melody Sax, Ophicleide, Normaphon, Double-belled Euphonium, Cornet, Clarinet, Trombone, Tuba, Banjo, Drums, Soprano Recorder, Sopranino Recorder, piccolo, C-soprano Sax, Alto Sax, Baritone Sax, Temple Blocks, Organ Pipes, Bombarde, Solaristic Sound Sculptures (??), Eb Soprano Clarinet, Mellophone, French Horn, Bass Clarinet, Rotary-valve Posthorn, Helicon, Slide Trumpet, Alto Valve Trombone, Highland Bagpipes & Alto Clarinet. This 1984 date also features Niels Lan Doky on piano, Ira Coleman on bass & Klaus Suonsaari on drums... pishah! One instrument each? Those poseurs. :)

SCOTT ROBINSON * SURVIVAL ON VENUS (EXCLUSIVE) - YouTube

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Scott Robinson - Multiple Instruments (Multijazz Records). Robinson plays (not all at once) Trumpet, Soprano Sax, Tenor Sax, C-melody Sax, Ophicleide, Normaphon, Double-belled Euphonium, Cornet, Clarinet, Trombone, Tuba, Banjo, Drums, Soprano Recorder, Sopranino Recorder, piccolo, C-soprano Sax, Alto Sax, Baritone Sax, Temple Blocks, Organ Pipes, Bombarde, Solaristic Sound Sculptures (??), Eb Soprano Clarinet, Mellophone, French Horn, Bass Clarinet, Rotary-valve Posthorn, Helicon, Slide Trumpet, Alto Valve Trombone, Highland Bagpipes & Alto Clarinet. This 1984 date also features Niels Lan Doky on piano, Ira Coleman on bass & Klaus Suonsaari on drums... pishah! One instrument each? Those poseurs. :)

SCOTT ROBINSON * SURVIVAL ON VENUS (EXCLUSIVE) - YouTube

I've met Scott. Quite a person.

Lawrence Brown's All-Stars with Johnny Hodges - Inspired Abandon (Impulse!). I wonder how Hodges got co-billing when he only plays on two tunes? :) I don't know if it's my pressing or something else is going on, but the bass sounds different on this. Did Van Gelder switch bass mic'ing techniques by 1965? In general, I don't think he captures larger bands like this as well as he does smaller ones. There's certainly too much reverb. It sounds like the band is playing in an empty dance hall.

R-6992708-1431205285-3727.jpeg.jpg

VIC%5FLEWIS_VIC%2BLEWIS%2BPLAYS%2BBOSSA%

UK HMV green label, factory sample. Brit band including Tubby Hayes, side 1. US lineup with Shorty Rogers side 2. Stereo version.

Looking at the grey skies and the rain on the tarmac, I would hazard a guess that that shot was taken at the Heathrow end. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants, 1969 Prestige reissue, PRST 7560, cover labeled ELECTRONICALLY REMASTERED FOR STEREO. 

I bought this LP in a yard sale last year, for a buck, didn't notice the off-putting ELECTRONICALLY designation, and was really surprised to hear it, because this record is proper MONO, not a fake STEREO, and in fact the sound on this LP is remarkably good. I don't know how they managed to squeeze over 30 minutes of music on one side, and almost 30 on the other, but the result is top topnotch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is probably the only way to get the whole December 24th, 1954 session on one disc. Grab one, if you see it. You won't be disappointed.

R-9140660-1475481578-3235.jpeg.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants, 1969 Prestige reissue, PRST 7560, cover labeled ELECTRONICALLY REMASTERED FOR STEREO. 

I bought this LP in a yard sale last year, for a buck, didn't notice the off-putting ELECTRONICALLY designation, and was really surprised to hear it, because this record is proper MONO, not a fake STEREO, and in fact the sound on this LP is remarkably good. I don't know how they managed to squeeze over 30 minutes of music on one side, and almost 30 on the other, but the result is top topnotch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is probably the only way to get the whole December 24th, 1954 session on one disc. Grab one, if you see it. You won't be disappointed.

R-9140660-1475481578-3235.jpeg.jpg

If it's got RVG in the deadwax, I've been told that he didn't like that rechanneled stuff so he sometimes ignored that directive.

On 12/1/2020 at 0:06 PM, bresna said:

If it's got RVG in the deadwax, I've been told that he didn't like that rechanneled stuff so he sometimes ignored that directive.

Yeah, it's stamped VAN GELDER on both sides. The matrix numbers are PRST 7650 A and B. ST catalog prefix is for stereo, which this is not.

You'll get a kick out of the shrink wrap that's still on my copy. It's a got a JORDAN MARSH price sticker. 7.79...not cheap, in 1969.

10 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Yeah, it's stamped VAN GELDER on both sides. The matrix numbers are PRST 7650 A and B. ST catalog prefix is for stereo, which this is not.

You'll get a kick out of the shrink wrap that's still on my copy. It's a got a JORDAN MARSH price sticker. 7.79...not cheap, in 1969.

$7.79 in 1969?? $1.79 maybe! :) I seem to remember rock LPs costing around $3.00 in the early 70's. I can't imagine a Miles reissue costing more than one of those those rock albums. Weren't many of these Prestige reissues budget releases?

Teddy Edwards - Nothin' But The Truth (Prestige). I somehow managed to end up with an RVG mono pressing. I'm not one of those mono fetishists. I'd actually prefer the stereo in most cases. I wonder why these guys cut the session so short? It's only 33 minutes long. BTW - the back cover has the wrong tune length for the track "But Beautiful". The back cover says 5:03 but the label correctly says 6:59.

R-12999354-1546439106-8812.jpeg.jpg