What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Paul Bley with Gary Peacock, ECM 1003, 1970, German release, I’m assuming it’s an original pressing. 
An introspective, wild, and searching trio recording, not very good from the engineering  aspect, to me it sounds recorded on a single stereo mic directly to a reel deck, in a rehearsal space somewhere in New York. 

1003.jpg?w=764

Edited by Dmitry

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, bresna said:

Nice sounding LP and the music was better than I expected. I don't know why, but I always thought this would be boring funk, especially with the All Music review. I think it's a fun record and Idris Mohammed is great.

The All Music Guide is a helpful resource, but its writers are not trustworthy when it comes to soul jazz and/or funky jazz. 

In this listener's opinion. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

The All Music Guide is a helpful resource, but its writers are not trustworthy when it comes to soul jazz and/or funky jazz. 

If you like Donaldson's "Mr. Shing A Ling" and you still spin LPs, the Tone Poet LP sounds very nice. Well worth picking up.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

If you like Donaldson's "Mr. Shing A Ling" and you still spin LPs, the Tone Poet LP sounds very nice. Well worth picking up.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Shing-A-Ling -- but I love the record that preceded it, Alligator Bogaloo.  

So I bet I'd dig it.  Thanks for the recommendation. :tup  

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm not familiar with Mr. Shing-A-Ling -- but I love the record that preceded it, Alligator Bogaloo.  

So I bet I'd dig it.  Thanks for the recommendation. :tup  

Read the review for Alligator Bogaloo...lol. This guy hates some Lou D funk, even stating that Leo Morris AKA Idris Muhammad isn't comfortable playing contemporary funk :lol:

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Read the review for Alligator Bogaloo...lol. This guy hates some Lou D funk, even stating that Leo Morris AKA Idris Muhammad isn't comfortable playing contemporary funk :lol:

In my experience, it's a fairly common thing for critics/reviewers to disparage soul jazz and funky jazz as less worthy, "selling out," etc.

It's not an attitude that I share. 

So I just ignore those sorts of reviews. :g

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I unfortunately took them at face value in my younger days, when that kind of stuff was (relatively) cheap and easy to find. I probably passed by a lot of great records because of AllMusic! :(

Currently spinning Warne Marsh's All Music (Nessa, 1976), over and over. It's always been a favourite, but something about it cracked open my head a couple of days ago, and now it is just on every time I'm near my turntable. My poor wife just sighs and says "Is this Wayne Marsh again?" every time.

3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

40053397ub.jpg

Is this good? Great players, but you never know with drum match ups. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Liberty LJH 6003 [FSR 1984] - Herbie Harper - Bud Shank - Bob Gordon - rec. 1953 LA -

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Re: Drummin' the Blues

Is this good? Great players, but you never know with drum match ups. 

It is believe me. Here are the details and all compositions by those two outstanding drummers.

40053399fv.jpg

19 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Currently spinning Warne Marsh's All Music (Nessa, 1976), over and over. It's always been a favourite, but something about it cracked open my head a couple of days ago, and now it is just on every time I'm near my turntable. My poor wife just sighs and says "Is this Wayne Marsh again?" every time.

:D:D !!

On 12/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, funkytonk said:

I unfortunately took them at face value in my younger days, when that kind of stuff was (relatively) cheap and easy to find. I probably passed by a lot of great records because of AllMusic! :(

You and me both, funkytonk! 

See my blog entry on Jack McDuff's The Heatin' System for more of my thoughts on the way soul jazz is regularly overlooked by many "tastemakers."