• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Music Inc. on Strata East. Bought it last week at a garage sale in DC. 17-piece band, with Stanley Cowell on piano. I like it a lot. Side 2 has 2 small scratches that give some brief light ticks but overall the rest is very clean, and the music is really great.

I also bought another Strata East LP by Brother Ah called Sound Awareness that has a Max Roach narration on side 2. It's not in as good of shape, and I can't see returning to this one as often, but it is definitely interesting stuff.

This weekend:

Sonny Stitt- "I Remember Bird"- typically good Stitt, with Frank Rosolino on trombone and Dolo Coker on piano, some fine playing between them;

Charles Lloyd- "Love In"- the Four Men with Beards vinyl version- some great stuff and some cheese there, but I enjoy it.

George Shearing Quintet- "I Hear Music"- on an old MGM LP-- a real surprise to me-- some really tasty piano playing, and some excellent piano-vibes interaction. Also Chuck wayne on guitar. I've read that Bud Powell listened to Shearing and I think I can hear some influence there. There is one very boppish-Powell-like cut on the LP (I'm too lazy to run back upstairs to get the title).

Jack Wilson- "Songs for My Daughter"-- again, some cheesy violin/strings accompaniment, but I really dig this album anyway. I like Wilson's piano playing, and the string background actually gets a great mood going, even if it is over the top at times.

I also went back to my 60s roots over the weekend, listened to a lot of vinyl from Crosby, Still, Nash & Young- in several of their permutations, starting from some of the Croby-Nash collaborations and moving on out to all four. Also some Byrds LPs. Also "Workingman's Dead" by the Grateful Dead (of course). And some Stones, from their double LP "More Hot Rocks"- has some of my favorite "minor" (?) Stones goodies on it.

Anyone else feeling the tug of the 60s on them? I'm theorizing that the Iraq war is giving me Vietnam War flashbacks, so I'm going back to the music of a previous war era.

Oh yes, one more jazz LP I listened to Friday- Hank Jones- "Relaxin' at Camarillo"- all-star lineup- with Kenny Clarke on drums, Paul Chambers on bass, and, the reason I really picked this LP up-- Bobby Jaspar on flute. Hard to define Jaspar's sound. I've only heard it once, I like it, need to give it more listens to get a better sense of Jaspar's style on flute.

Edited by Leeway

Son Volt....Trace: Great sounding LP with decent country rock tunes.

Mingus...Mingus, Mingus, Mingus...: Inpulse/MCA 200 gram re-issue from about 10 years ago. A must own IMO.

Johnny Cash...The Man Comes Around(American Recordings): Some great songs, some he shoulda left alone.

Andrew Hill...Black Fire

White Stripes...Elephant: Most of their stuff is on vinyl :):):)

Billie Holiday...Body and Soul(MFSL Mono)

Sal Nistico 'Neo/Nistico' (Bee Hive)

The LP sleeve includes a flyer for Bee Hive T-Shirts with a nice photo of Roy Haynes sporting one. Should have bought one of those... $5 postpaid a shirt ($6 outside the USA).

Bee Hive produced great music and nice clothings. Bring them back!

Two albums that helped me unwind today:

"Stan Getz with Cal Tjader"- with Vince Guaraldi, Scott La Faro, Billy Higgins, and Eddie Duran on guitar. I've been getting into Tjader more. Any suggestions for other titles to try?

Grant Green- "Sunday Mornin"- with Kenny Drew on piano. I like Green with piano- gives the album a clean, open sound. Green really SMOKES Miles' "So What" to close out the LP. Duran was pretty good on the Getz-Tjader LP, but then you hear Green, and you realize the guy's in another league altogether.

2 tasty LPs. :tup

Phillip Wilson Trio, "Fruits" with Leo Smith and Johnny Dyani.

Chuck - Never heard (or heard of) this one until now. I see from checking a discography that it's a Circle LP. I assume that it must be a good record if you've held onto it for this long and you still listen to it.

Edited by paul secor