• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brown/Roach's 'Study in Brown', 1950s Dutch Emarcy pressing bought by my father when he was fresh out of military service ca 1959.

The front cover lists "Ulcer Department" instead of "George's Dilemma", and Wikipedia "claims" the tune was known also under that title, but doesn't explain why, and I've never seen it anywhere else. Anyway - this is a perfect album! 

_20210112_210110.JPG

On 2021-01-09 at 7:46 PM, kh1958 said:

Ahmad Jamal, Tranquility (Impulse)Image result for ahmad jamal Tranquility

I really like that Jamal album! I often find him a bit too "cold" but not here. Do you also have the "quadrophonic" pressing? I have it, and it sounds good. A guy played me an earlier stereo pressing recently, and Interestingly it sounded worse; one side had very weak bass. 

On 2021-01-08 at 10:03 PM, sidewinder said:

Good man ! ‘The Kicker’ is one of the ones I need to get hold of in the Tone Poet series.

Unfortunately, it lacks one of the better cuts from that session out of time restrictions. 

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I really like that Jamal album! I often find him a bit too "cold" but not here. Do you also have the "quadrophonic" pressing? I have it, and it sounds good. A guy played me an earlier stereo pressing recently, and Interestingly it sounded worse; one side had very weak bass. 

Unfortunately, it lacks one of the better cuts from that session out of time restrictions. 

Yes, my copy is a quadrophonic pressing and a promotional copy. It does sound good. I've never heard a quadrophonic system though.

Edited by kh1958

Just now, bresna said:

How are you hearing it if you don't have a quadrophonic playback system? I thought you needed a special turntable to play those LPs?

I'm not kh1958, but I've got the same Quadrophonic version of that album. From what I know, you hear all of the sound from the four channels "downmixed" to two-channel stereo. I guess there might be more than one type of quadrophonic lps, but the one I'm familiar with used some sort of "pilot tone" - much like FM stereo radio - to provide the "difference" between back and front channels. Without decoding this supersonic signal, it's just a stereo record. 

You gotta remember, it was the 70s and everybody was high.

IIRC, there were two Quad formats for LP (Discrete and ????), one that required a Quad-specific playback system, the other one compatable with a stereo system.

My limited experiences with Quad back in the day was that it was interesting, but not really essential, As a precursor to surroundsound, though, it's of historical significance.

Our late friend Bob Belden was into creating surround-specific compositions, things that "played" the playback, made it a part of the actual music, not just a post-music consideration. Doing that, I think, is the way ahead, if there is to be one.

But Quad? Yeah, everybody was high then.

3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Which one do you mean?

40314402cq.jpg

40314461ze.jpg

40314427zg.jpg

40314445rw.jpg

I'v e got the second one, and it's definitely "dance band". Good charts, but like most second-tier Kenton writers, Hanna had a formula and stuck with it come hell or high water.

Yeah, Discrete Quad & Matrix Quad, those were the two "big" formats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

How are you hearing it if you don't have a quadrophonic playback system? I thought you needed a special turntable to play those LPs?

I mean the quad/stereo compatible record sounds fine in stereo reproduction. I don't know what equipment you need to listen in quad. That was a very short-lived 1970s audio fad, as I recall.

I know that you needed a Quadrophonic receiver for Quad LPs to "work as designed" -- but you could still listen to them on a regular stereo receiver, of course.  As a kid, I remember pushing a button on my dad's Quad receiver, and the display would toggle between a big green "2" and a big green "4" -- indicating the number of speakers in your set-up. 

Since my dad only had two speakers, he never took advantage of the Quad functionality.  No different than most people, I guess.  One of the reasons it faded so fast. Four speakers cost more than two.

Edited by HutchFan

1 minute ago, bresna said:

I've passed over many quad LPs in the used racks because I thought I needed a special turntable to play them.

Cartridge, .yes. Turntable, no. And you would need a special amp (and four speakers, of course) to process the Quad playback.

But - any Quad LP with the "Matrix" system should be compatible with regular stereo playback. The "Discrete" stuff, no.

It was like the old days of Stereo vs Mono, only with nowhere near the audience appetite. They tried, though...

My most vivid experience with Quad playback came at the Texas State fair ca. 1972-3ish. Some vendor had a tent set up pimping THE SOUND OF THE FUTURE or something like that, and their demo was a quad 8-Track of the Herbie Mann Hold On I'm Comin' album, the live one with Fathead & Sonny Sharrock. Now THAT was impressive, the tent was able to give the Quad a true "all sides immersion" experience that when Sharrock cut loose more  than a little exhilarating! And Fathead on "Never Can Say Goodbye"....wow, still get chills about hearing that solo like that...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

My most vivid experience with Quad playback came at the Texas State fair ca. 1972-3ish. Some vendor had a tent set up pimping THE SOUND OF THE FUTURE or something like that, and their demo was a quad 8-Track of the Herbie Mann Hold On I'm Comin' album, the live one with Fathead & Sonny Sharrock. Now THAT was impressive, the tent was able to give the Quad a true "all sides immersion" experience that when Sharrock cut loose more  than a little exhilarating! And Fathead on "Never Can Say Goodbye"....wow, still get chills about hearing that solo like that...

You should consider setting up a DVD-A/SACD surround system then. I have heard some incredible surround music with my system... most of it rock discs, but there are a few jazz & fusion discs that sound pretty good.

"Incredible" would be Bob Belden's "Black Dahlia" surround mix on the Blue Note SACD. As you noted earlier, near the end of his life, Bob was using surround sound as a better way to present his music. This music likely represents our only chance to hear it in a jazz context (I have some new-agey surround music that he did later) and it is very nicely done.

Adding this... Belden also did a surround mix on "Mysterious Shorter" with Nicholas Peyton, Sam Yehel, John Hart & Billy Drummond, but I don't think he had as much artistic input into the mix as it was done for Chesky Records and they had their own ideas there.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Cartridge, .yes. Turntable, no. And you would need a special amp (and four speakers, of course) to process the Quad playback.

But - any Quad LP with the "Matrix" system should be compatible with regular stereo playback. The "Discrete" stuff, no.

Correct.

I can play this one without any problems  and it sounds great.

40316509ny.jpg

40316510pw.jpg

717672_1.jpg

On 13/01/2021 at 1:39 AM, kh1958 said:

Yes, my copy is a quadrophonic pressing and a promotional copy. It does sound good. I've never heard a quadrophonic system though.

A junior school buddy of mine had one (at least, his father did) and I can remember spinning MOR stuff from that collection (e.g. very cheesy Hawaiian stuff such as Wout Stenhuis) on that quadraphonic music centre. Seemed the bees-knees at the time. I think the records were stereo though.