• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This is my LP copy I bought in 1978.

I remember I was a bit disappointed since I thought it will be an encounter between Roy Eldridge and Fats Navarro.

But not to forget the great side A too with Roy Eldridge playing "Ornothology" in the outing of How High the Moon. 

And I must laugh now if I think how strange the title "High On An Open Mike" sounded to me. 

Then I didn´t know what that means , I translated it into "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael".....which is worse than a google translation would be now ...

On "Sweet Georgia Brown" I always would have liked to know if it is the voice of Fats Navarro who announces Buddy Rich when Buddy starts his drum solo. It´s reported that Fats Navarro had a high pitched voice and that sounds like if maybe it is Fats announcing Buddy.

Download (6).jpg

Thanks for that "nice translation". Had to smile a bit.

But this tune "high on an open mike" is one of my favorite bebop tunes with Charlie Ventura  on his GNPS Cat # 1 concert LP  I have with a super group featuring

Ventura, Candoli, Boots Mussulli, Benny Green, Roy Kral (p & voc), Jakie Cain (voc) ,Kenny O' Brian (b) & Ed Shaugnessy (dr). The complete 1949 concert was issued IMO  on 2 vinyls GNP 1 & MCA Coral PCO 7183

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Interesting box. Wish I had acquired the cds that were available for a minute.

Yeah, it would be convenient to have this music in a digital format.   But the LPs sound damn good, so I'd probably keep the vinyl even if I had the CDs. :P 

BTW, the second disc from The Essential Collection, 1927-1962 compiles some outstanding cuts from the 1947-52 period.  I ripped that disc to high bitrate MP3s and always have those files on my phone for on-the-go listening. 

0001453432.jpg

I love Duke's music from this '47-'52 era -- so having this "sampler" is better than nothing.  I queue it up quite a bit.  :g 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, it would be convenient to have this music in a digital format.   But the LPs sound damn good, so I'd probably keep the vinyl even if I had the CDs. :P 

BTW, the second disc from The Essential Collection, 1927-1962 compiles some outstanding cuts from the 1947-52 period.  I ripped that disc to high bitrate MP3s and always have those files on my phone for on-the-go listening. 

0001453432.jpg

I love Duke's music from this '47-'52 era -- so having this "sampler" is better than nothing.  I queue it up quite a bit.  :g 

I do have the French box.

Dizzy Gillespie, World Statesman (Verve)

Miles Davis, You're Under Arrest

Bud Shank/Laurindo Almeida, Brazilliance volume 3 (World Pacific)

Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn with Jimmy Giuffre (Atlantic)Image result for Dizzy Gillespie World StatesmanImage result for miles davis you're under arrestImage result for Bud Shak Brazilliance volume 3 world pacificImage result for modern jazz quartet at music inn jimmy giuffreImage result for sonny stitt a little bit of stitt

Sonny Stitt, A Little Bit of Stitt (Royal Roost)

Edited by kh1958

On 23.1.2021 at 0:04 AM, sidewinder said:

Plays_For_Bird.jpg

NY DG mono copy

12871212871261_2.jpg

UK Xtra 60s pressing

Sonny Rollins plays for Bird is quite interesting. It´s not trying to copy Bird, but a very individual thing, mostly standards that Bird played , not originals (with the exception of "My Little Suede Shows).