• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

R-9665726-1584964215-9683.jpeg.jpg

Sonny Stitt - Sonny's Back (Muse, 1980)
Another terrific Sonny Stitt - Barry Harris collaboration.  Meat and potatoes? Yes.  Delicious? Yes.

What I like about that one is how Stitt reflexively kicks it up a notch on the cuts with Ricky Ford. Stitt was a battler to the end, and quite possibly by nature.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What I like about that one is how Stitt reflexively kicks it up a notch on the cuts with Ricky Ford. Stitt was a battler to the end, and quite possibly by nature.

Yessir.  Stitt's like Roy Eldridge that way.

NP:

R-13317050-1551974641-1941.jpeg.jpg

Illinois Jacquet - S/T (Jazz Reactivation)

This LP is a UK reissue of Desert Winds (Argo, 1964) with Kenny Burrell. 

Found it recently on Discogs for a couple bucks -- not quid, like the sticker says. :g

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Is this vinyl only, no CD??

Download available, no CD.  It's worth getting

On 15/02/2021 at 1:32 AM, HutchFan said:

MI0002238299.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

What did you make of it?

I remember buying and being very excited, not least as it was difficult to get over here at the time and it was a dream line-up for me in my earlier Jazz listening years..  I listened to it again a few months ago for the first time in years and thought it sounded of its time but good of its time

43 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

What did you make of it?

I remember buying and being very excited, not least as it was difficult to get over here at the time and it was a dream line-up for me in my earlier Jazz listening years..  I listened to it again a few months ago for the first time in years and thought it sounded of its time but good of its time

I like Audio Visualscapes very much.  It is, as you say, "of its time but good of its time." 

Also, I like that DeJohnette was trying to stretch boundaries.  It seems like a lot of jazz -- especially jazz from the 1980s -- observes an unwritten rule that its got to be "acoustic" to be legit.  Perhaps during the 80s this stance was in reaction to the widely-held perception that jazz in the 70s was dominated electric instruments & unswinging fusion. 

Of course, I don't buy that narrative (on many levels) -- and it appears that DeJohnette didn't either.  ;)