What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

For Hi-Fi Buffs...can't relate that mindset to this music, sorry.

It's a homemade recording of a club date. The music is incredible, and is very "listenable" as such. For my money, it's a no-brainer addition to any collection of great music.

For collectors of Hi-Fi Wizardry, go buy an Esquivel record or something. They're fun!

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

For Hi-Fi Buffs...can't relate that mindset to this music, sorry.

It's a homemade recording of a club date. The music is incredible, and is very "listenable" as such. For my money, it's a no-brainer addition to any collection of great music.

For collectors of Hi-Fi Wizardry, go buy an Esquivel record or something. They're fun!

Thanks for the input but what’s an Esquivel record.

I listened to a couple of minutes on YouTube where I probably should have gone to begin with. It sounded fine to me and in line with other club dates I’ve heard. Not pristine but not everything is. I will look for it. 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

How does this sound? I’m tempted to purchase it but I can only find it outside of the US and when I looked up on All Music the US version that was published in the late 70s, the reviewer said the sound was so terrible as to make it unlistenable. 

Thats correct. The sound is very inferior. If you can get them cheap and just for the music  it may be a deal.

Its from private tapes of Max and not professionally recorded. But it has some historic value.

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

On 2/20/2021 at 9:22 PM, JSngry said:

BTW - I was blessed to catch the James Brown Show in a club (yes, club!) in Dallas in spring of 1981. The hits had long ago stopped coming, he was either without or about to be without a label, young Black people laughed at his old processed hair ass, it was surely a very dark time for The Godfather, probably the nadir of his career. The crowd was at most 300 people, and mostly white Boomers (of which I was definitely one). But it was still THE JAMES BROWN SHOW - SHOW, just like the old days, full service presentation, JUST like the old days, no intermission per se, just band instrumentals/JB teaser, female singer set, band feature set and then...IT'S STARTIME, and good god, yes, it was James Brown, still The Hardest Working Man In Show Business, STILL Mr. Dyneemite, still in there 1000%, still throwing up that hand for EVERY flub, no matter how irrelevant, It was amazing, cementing my truth that James Brown was indeed a force of nature, records be damned, popularity be damned, HERE was the reality of the truth. "Living In America" and all the samples and other deifications were yet to come. I saw the man at damn near the bottom and he was STILL James Brown. Not just anybody can do that.

But that was a gig. The broader reality was a LOT more complicated. But I know what I saw, heard, and felt, so let it be complicated.

Jim,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recollections on James Brown -- and all else too.  Today, I spent about ten hours on the road traveling home from an unexpected trip, but I was mulling our conversation for much of the day.  I appreciate your knowledge... and your love of the music!  THAT is the thing, right there!  That's what carries the day.

The USPS delivered a package with this LP in it while I was out of town:

R-1298833-1556724413-6471.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

How is this one? I can always use Oliver Lake recommendations.

Impala is excellent.  :tup The band includes Geri Allen, Santi Debriano, and Pheeroan Aklaff.   It's available on YT here.

I also ordered Lake's LP Gallery from the same discogs seller.  Planning on listening to it later today.  :D 

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

First listen to the other Oliver Lake LP that I ordered:

R-1298820-1583352049-7336.jpeg.jpg

Oliver Lake - Gallery (Gramavision, 1986)
with Geri Allen, Fred Hopkins, Pheeroan AkLaff, and (on one cut) Rasul Sidduk

Just as good as Impala.  Maybe even better.  Too soon to tell.

yeah, I like this one.