Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I didn't know that. Did Nock stay in Europe or go home I wonder.

I don't know.  I think Nock was based in the U.S. for a long while.

But regardless of his home base, it seems like Eicher could've recorded Nock again if he'd wanted to.  ... But who knows!?!? Not me!  ;) 

7 hours ago, Pim said:

All of these Louis Hayes Muse sessions are so freakin' good. This is another great one but probably my least favorite. The Real Thing and Ichi Ban are even better. But this one is very good too. And a good oppurtunity to hear Charles Davis in a prominent role (on baritone sax!)

I agree 100%, Pim.  Hayes made some great records in the 70s!  :tup 

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I don't know.  I think Nock was based in the U.S. for a long while.

But regardless of his home base, it seems like Eicher could've recorded Nock again if he'd wanted to.  ... But who knows!?!? Not me!?!

Nor me but my impression, and it's only an impression as I haven't looked anything up, is that ECM didn't make many recordings outside their favoured studios in those days (still only a small handful) so if he was back in NZ or Australia maybe Manfred couldn't find a studio he liked or couldn't be bothered to look

1200x1200.jpg

The recent Pure Pleasure reissue that sounds very good! Great record by Bonner (my favorite). Probably his most creative outing with a great band and even some strings. But it's mostly his fluent and gentle piano playing that really does it. Great music, ugly artwork....

Now spinning:

51BydIM5geL.jpg

Gary Thomas & Seventh Quadrant - By Any Means Necessary (JMT, 1989)

This music is as fierce as you'd expect, given the title.  Bassist Anthony Cox and drummer Dennis Chambers build a driving, shifting rhythmic foundation.  With the odd meters and synths & guitars riding on top, at times this reminds me of an 80s update on (some aspects of) prog-rock. (!!!)  But its still got the open-endedness and groove of jazz.

I dig it.

Edited by HutchFan

0102445.jpg

Bill Barron - Variations in Blue (Muse, 1984)
with Jimmy Owens, Kenny Barron, Ray Drummond & Ben Riley

Kenny Barron quoted in the LP's liner notes:
"[Bill's] music is very difficult. Just from a technical standpoint, it's hard for the musicians to play and to read. For one thing, the chords that he uses and the way that they move, the progressions, is very unique. It makes it very difficult to play the standard sort of things that you would normally play. I mean, most people do that. They play things that they know already, things that work, things that they know will work. But you can't play your regular stuff with him. You can't play it safe. Playing Bill's music, you have to take a chance. There is no other way." 

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

a0598959968_10.jpg

A real find from the Hiseman archive and another excellent release from this label.

I was at university with Ron Rubin's valve trombonist and vibist brother, John Rubin. Never met Ron, though. I believe Ron played for Ronnie Scott and for Robert Graves in Majorca.

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting. I recall the Scott bio mentioning that Majorca stint in the 60s with Graves.

Re other poets/literary types who dug jazz, Philip Larkin and Kingsley Amis come to mind. Both were pretty mouldy figs, though Larkin was known to cut a caper to (New Testament) Basie. Amis, though, condemned himself (IIRC in his novel Take a Girl Like You) by including in his cricket team of 11 Villains none other than John Coltrane. Amis was clearly happier with Condon (Eddie, not Les).

23 hours ago, optatio said:

40656881ur.jpg

40656979la.jpg

Never knew about that album. How is it? 

Now playing: vinyl-only release on the label of Jonas Kullhammar (who some might remember as a BNBB member) featuring himself, drummer Håkon Mjåset Johansen, basist Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Chick Corea on piano. 

_20210301_221426.JPG