Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6452601-1419608894-4603.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton - Peregrinations (Blue Note, 1975)
with Arthur Blythe, Joe Beck, Steve Turre, et al

I love this record! 

Blue Note should reissue Peregrinations and the subsequent BN album, Chico Hamilton and the Players, on a single CD.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat -- if only for on-the-go listening.

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-6452601-1419608894-4603.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton - Peregrinations (Blue Note, 1975)
with Arthur Blythe, Joe Beck, Steve Turre, et al

I love this record! 

Blue Note should reissue Peregrinations and the subsequent BN album, Chico Hamilton and the Players, on a single CD.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat -- if only for on-the-go listening.

The only time I ever saw that one was in deletion racks with the inevitable corner click. Never heard it !

R-13224065-1559996020-9905.jpeg.jpg

Ask the Ages: the 2x45rpm set from Hive Mind. 

Sound is excellent. Read some poor reviews on discogs and the VMP subreddit but I don't find any faults with this mastering or pressing because I get totally lost in the music when I play this. It says "Play Loud" on the cover, and indeed that is good advice. 

3 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Sound is excellent. Read some poor reviews on discogs and the VMP subreddit but I don't find any faults with this mastering or pressing because I get totally lost in the music when I play this. It says "Play Loud" on the cover, and indeed that is good advice. 

Echoes of Tony Williams' (turn it over) !!!  ;) 

R-2262880-1276357307.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Mine sounds great. I have had no issues with the Hive Mind pressing.

The VMP reissue is different -- original cover art, red vinyl, 33 1/3 rpm rather than 2x 45. 

1 minute ago, clifford_thornton said:

The VMP reissue is different -- original cover art, red vinyl, 33 1/3 rpm rather than 2x 45. 

Yep. I just don't get some of the heat this Hive Mind set got from the VMP reddit page in terms of SQ critique. Would've loved to have gotten a copy of that 33 too with the original cover. 

47 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

ah gotcha. reddit is not really the place I would go for record talk; I get the feeling that a lot of people in those threads are new to the format and often don't have the right equipment. Just a hunch, however. 

For sure, agreed 100%. It's just that the sentiment expressed there kind of made the rounds to where it seemed consensus was that Hive Mind's efforts were low quality which I just don't think is true. I'm hoping VMP reissues that 33. this is one title that I would double dip for on LP.