What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

gotta ask...why would you want to hear Ask The Ages on vinyl?

I got the VMP issue. For one thing, though I still have a lot of CDs, I only listen to them in the car these days. I don't even have a CD player hooked up to my home stereo. I only listen to vinyl at home.

Second, the album isn't currently in print on CD, so if you want a new physical copy, vinyl it is. Or be prepared to spend more than a new LP costs for a used CD.

I live in an apartment, so I'm limited in how loud I can actually play it. But the VMP press sounds fine to me at moderate levels. I haven't heard the Hive Mind version, but the plusses of the VMP for me were 33 1/3 rpm (less flipping) and the original cover art. I could care less about colored vinyl, but the red does look nice.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

gotta ask...why would you want to hear Ask The Ages on vinyl? Especially on 45?

You do indeed play it loud/VERY loud (at least I do...). All the more reason to keep it digital, imo.

My own personal aesthetic preference for the music on the album I guess. Doesn't happen like that all the time, and even though there's a digital step on this one vinyl just seems to fit. 

And I love 45s. Used to DJ, have a lot of reggae and hip hop 12" & 7" singles and so flipping 45s doesn't bother me. If I really like what I'm playing I can't sit down anyway (which annoys the hell out of my dog). 

Edited by Dub Modal

I love the dynamic range that the digital provides for this one. Playing it log/VERY loud is a beautiful thing when it doesn't push back.

Had no idea that the CD was no longer in print. That sucks, and should never have been allowed to have occurred..Where are the laws in this country, anyway?

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I love the dynamic range that the digital provides for this one. Playing it log/VERY loud is a beautiful thing when it doesn't push back.

Had no idea that the CD was no longer in print. That sucks, and should never have been allowed to have occurred..Where are the laws in this country, anyway?

The CD can be had for around $20 these days. I think these vinyl reissues may have brought its price back down to reality, especially because Laswell also offers it as a download at his bandcamp page for $9. 

Now, there's also a cassette of it. that would be interesting. Probably not as crankable I'd guess. 

24 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Still got my CD version, which I think is the Canadian Axiom issue.

In other news.... not yet on my deck but this nugget from Sam Records is on its way from Paris...

EpG-5U9WMAApeY6.jpg:large

Mine's waiting for the Harper to be released and accompany it 

28 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Laswell also offers it as a download at his bandcamp page for $9. 

Thanks, just listening now. $9 or £50 for the VMP... decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

On 8.3.2021 at 7:38 AM, Gheorghe said:

Great stuff, I purchased this on those BN LA Series (double albums with brown paper bag cover). Very fine and swinging stuff. 

Re Montomery brothers with WES. Have a second one which is also of the same calibre. Is that also on your Blue Note reissue of the Pacific Jazz label?

40729320gc.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

Now spinning:

R-569681-1281741844.jpeg.jpg

Norman Connors - Love from the Sun (Buddah, 1974)
with Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Hubert Laws, Eddie Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Buster Williams, Kenneth Nash, Bill Summers, and DeeDee Bridgewater

A record that exceeds the sum of its very considerable parts. The music is even more beautiful than the sunset on the cover.

:wub:

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

I had fun playing tracks from Ask the Ages on DJ gigs when I was able to do that before COVID. In that instance, vinyl was certainly a plus.

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-569681-1281741844.jpeg.jpg

Norman Connors - Love from the Sun (Buddah, 1974)
with Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Hubert Laws, Eddie Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Buster Williams, Kenneth Nash, Bill Summers, and DeeDee Bridgewater

A record that exceeds the sum of its very considerable parts. The music is even more beautiful than the sunset on the cover.

:wub:

Yeah, that's a good one. Are you playing the Pure Pleasure reissue or the original? 

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Re Montomery brothers with WES. Have a second one which is also of the same calibre. Is that also on your Blue Note reissue of the Pacific Jazz label?

40729320gc.jpg

Yes, the stuff with young Freddie Hubbard is also on my BN reissue. Wasn´t this Freddie´s  first recording session ? 

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I had fun playing tracks from Ask the Ages on DJ gigs when I was able to do that before COVID. In that instance, vinyl was certainly a plus.

Memory checking myself (because that's something I NEED to do a lot these days), Ask The Ages was originally released on CD (and cassette!), there was no Axiom LP? Or was there?

I see the CD was AAD, so ok, maybe there's not a lot (or anything?) lost by returning it to analog...if they've gone back to the analog session/mixing tapes. Did they do that? Or are they just making an LP of the CD?

R-8959838-1472281496-6397.jpeg.jpg

Still can't believe that the CD is no longer in print. That's just immoral.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Memory checking myself (because that's something I NEED to do a lot these days), Ask The Ages was recorded digitally, and originally released on CD (and cassette!), there was no Axiom LP? Or was there?

I see the CD was AAD, so ok, maybe there's not a lot (or anything?) lost by returning it to analog.

No Axiom LP. The Hive Mind 45 was the first to market with vinyl, VMP's came a few months later. 

What was Laswell's label prior to Axiom, Celluloid? Is that the order? I definitely remember Laswell LPs on one of his labels, but I think it was Celluliod.

So, did Hive Mind make the LP from analog sources? If so, I might like to hear the LP, it might actually sound better than the CD, or, at least, different, in a not-bad way.

But if they used digital source tapes...neve mind, none for me, thanks.

Laswell put out a LOT of records back in the day, on both Celluloid & Axiom, a lot of them quite interesting and almost all of them with one or more players in the mix you might not expect to find. The Tabla Beat Science records are particularly wonderful.

and I got it backward - Celluloid came before Axiom and was not Laswell's label, although he was a driving force there. And between the two labels, there's an entire musical culture going on that was vey well documented.

This on, should be an All-time Classic instead of an underground classic:

R-446912-1334057505.jpeg.jpg

R-446912-1334057538.jpeg.jpg

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Laswell put out a LOT of records back in the day, on both Celluloid & Axiom, a lot of them quite interesting and almost all of them with one or more players in the mix you might not expect to find. The Tabla Beat Science records are particularly wonderful.

and I got it backward - Celluloid came before Axiom and was not Laswell's label, although he was a driving force there. And between the two labels, there's an entire musical culture going on that was vey well documented.

This on, should be an All-time Classic instead of an underground classic:

R-446912-1334057505.jpeg.jpg

R-446912-1334057538.jpeg.jpg

That is an INTENSE record. I didn’t know it was considered an underground classic either. Bought it out of the used bins for a few bucks a couple of years ago, amazed by who was involved as listed on the back.