What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

What was Laswell's label prior to Axiom, Celluloid? Is that the order? I definitely remember Laswell LPs on one of his labels, but I think it was Celluliod.

So, did Hive Mind make the LP from analog sources? If so, I might like to hear the LP, it might actually sound better than the CD, or, at least, different, in a not-bad way.

But if they used digital source tapes...neve mind, none for me, thanks.

Celluloid was run by Jean Georgakarakos of BYG fame.

I assume the Hive Mind is from a digital source; my copy is now buried in pre-move boxes.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So...digital on an LP...that's kind of why CDs became the thing, wasn't it? Cutting out that analog filter middleman.

I mean, I am coming to appreciate (if not completely understand) the object-ness of the "vinyl revival", but from an objective (no pun intended) standpoint...just not feeling a need, myself.

Now, if somebody still has the AA part of the AAD chain, and wanted to work with that, hey, let's play that game, because the digital quality process did not evolve nearly as adroitly as did the marketplace process...it got there, eventually, but...that's another story. People confused lack of tape hiss with "better sound" and god, look at all the truly shitty sounding records we got stuck with.

Bottom line, though - it's an amazing record, and it's great that it's getting back out there.

46 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I assume the Hive Mind is from a digital source; my copy is now buried in pre-move boxes.

I don't have any doubt it is, just like all of the Sun Ra reissues on LP have a digital step in the chain. These days it seems safe to assume that unless it's advertised as AAA, it ain't. And for this particular album I think that AAA would be impossible anyway. 

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Bottom line, though - it's an amazing record, and it's great that it's getting back out there.

Yeah, it's a record that deserves everlasting life. 

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

And for this particular album I think that AAA would be impossible anyway.

wouldn't want to assume that...Laswell ahs always struck me as a pack-rat-y kind of guy for some reason. Maybe all the remixes, just seems like the kind of guy who keeps stuff around. I could be totally wrong.

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-8268054-1458815378-4959.jpeg.jpg

McCoy Tyner - Just Feelin' (Palo Alto Jazz, 1985)
with Avery Sharpe (b), Louis Hayes (d), and on two cuts Babatunde (perc)

This group and the group on Dimensions I saw many times. Usually in the last set, at some point McCoy would raise the intensity to such a high level, his playing seemed to defy the limitations of the piano and become some other instrument. Seeing McCoy Tyner a couple of times a year, that is something I really miss. 

Jimmy Ponder, So Many Stars (Milestone)

Urban Green 6-Tet (Command/Pathe Marconi)

Image result for Jimmy ponder so many stars milestoneImage result for urbie green 6-tet command

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, I caught that Tyner Trio with Avery Sharpe at Ronnie Scott’s a couple of times. I had the feeling it was Tootie Heath on drums but may have been Louis Hayes.

When he switched from a quintet to the trio as his touring group, Louis Hayes was on drums for the first two or three years; then Aaron Scott replaced Louis Hayes.

R-1114174-1327361080.jpeg.jpg

NY Mono.  Recent acquisition sounding very nice

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

CS783833-01A-BIG.jpg

Just in from HJs - along with the two Futura reissues. ‘Live A Gaveau’, also on Sam Records, has also just arrived from Paris, so I thereby proclaim today as ‘Gilson Day’.

Nice. How do the two versions compare?

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Nice. How do the two versions compare?

Same repertoire - still working my way through the original but presentationally the ‘Live’ LP looks lovely. Will report in due course.

’A Gaveau’ is a corker of an LP. Plus of course it has Woody Shaw with Sonny Grey as added bonus, playing some very robust arrangements.

sahib_grande.jpg?v=1609247986

Next up - Sahib Shihab with Gilson’s ‘Unit’

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1114174-1327361080.jpeg.jpg

NY Mono.  Recent acquisition sounding very nice

I’m sure it knocks the Tone Poet for six !

Edited by sidewinder

First impressions of the ‘Live a Gaveau’ album are that the concert was recorded in excellent sound, with the audience atmosphere captured very well. Nice and crisp recording by INA - only recently found, apparently, previously believed lost. So, it complements the studio version very nicely, although maybe the ‘ringer’ soloists such as Shaw are missed. 

My copy is a French Waxbuyer’s Club Edition - in fact I think this release was done for their subscription, with a very limited number also put out on sale on Sam’s site (now OOP). It comes with fancy OBI and second JP Leloir insert photo of the concert.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

First impressions of the ‘Live a Gaveau’ album are that the concert was recorded in excellent sound, with the audience atmosphere captured very well. Nice and crisp recording by INA - only recently found, apparently, previously believed lost. So, it complements the studio version very nicely, although maybe the ‘ringer’ soloists such as Shaw are missed. 

My copy is a French Waxbuyer’s Club Edition - in fact I think this release was done for their subscription, with a very limited number also put out on sale on Sam’s site (now OOP). It comes with fancy OBI and second JP Leloir insert photo of the concert.

Thanks. I feel a purchase coming on to complement the the live one I have on order