What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

This again:

R-6869449-1428362468-5787.jpeg.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 3:09 AM, Gheorghe said:

James Williams was so great, and he died too early. 

I´ll never forget how impressed I was by his playing on the first Blakey LP I had "In This Korner". And then seeing him perform with Blakey with that band with Bobby Watson and Valery Ponomarev...

Williams' music always has a soulfulness and warmth, doesn't it?  Even when he's playing uptempo.  

I think that's one of the reasons he worked so well with Blakey.  TOTALLY agree with you re: In This Korner

Straight Ahead, Blakey's 2nd live record from the Keystone -- again with James Williams -- is excellent too. :tup 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Wow, that would have been a totally different take on the music than the MPS/JEB notes, no doubt...

In a quick look at the Prestige Discography, I counted 16 Prestige issues of MPS material. How else would Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald end up on Prestige?

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

In a quick look at the Prestige Discography, I counted 16 Prestige issues of MPS material. How else would Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald end up on Prestige?

There was a Clarke-Boland as well, correct? Who else?

Wondering how well that series got distributed nationwide. We had pretty goo rack-job service for Prestige when I started buying in 1970-71, but I never saw any of those.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-2694653-1296923904.jpeg.jpg

You know, I used to have to defend Wearther Report/Zawinual against the stickuptheirassjazzpurists about the synths, and my first - and still primary - line is that hey, colors, textures unique to electronics, not imitating "real" instruments but being real instruments.

So it was in the liner notes to either Quasar or Dragonfly, or maybe some interview, i forget, where they say something about "sounds like you've been listening to Weather Report, whaddup with that, Mr. Silence humming trioman?" And his response was - textures, I love the textures.

Well, yeah. DUH! :g

If Joe Biden was a jazz fan, I bet he'd say, "NEVER bet against the Jimmy Giuffre people!"

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

You know, I used to have to defend Wearther Report/Zawinual against the stickuptheirassjazzpurists about the synths, and my first - and still primary - line is that hey, colors, textures unique to electronics, not imitating "real" instruments but being real instruments.

So it was in the liner notes to either Quasar or Dragonfly, or maybe some interview, i forget, where they say something about "sounds like you've been listening to Weather Report, whaddup with that, Mr. Silence humming trioman?" And his response was - textures, I love the textures.

Well, yeah. DUH! :g

If Joe Biden was a jazz fan, I bet he'd say, "NEVER bet against the Jimmy Giuffre people!"

Yep. Good memory. What you're talkin' about is in the liner notes to Quasar;) 

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I have that one.

a.jpg

Funnily enough I saw a blue label copy of that pressing in the racks here for not much £ and passed. Real curio. The MPS releases are quite common over here, either German, UK or French pressed.

Edited by sidewinder