• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

More from Donald Harrison & Terence Blanchard:

R-5718682-1400785355-2525.jpeg.jpg

Crystal Stair (Columbia, 1987)

Dude, when were double-breasted jackets THAT short ever a good idea? Even with white slacks?

Looks like a freaking uniform. What was Terrence wearing?

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dude, when were double-breasted jackets THAT short ever a good idea? Even with white slacks?

Looks like a freaking uniform. What was Terrence wearing?

It was the 80s!!!  Back then, I bet those suits were HIP! :P

Check out the back of the cover:

719txxmF25L._SX466_.jpg

Christmas time?

Edited by HutchFan

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It was the 80s!!!  Back then, I bet those suits were HIP! :P

Check out the back of the cover:

719txxmF25L._SX466_.jpg

Christmas time?

Terence Blanchard looks like a baby, I always had the impression he has a baby face. As much as I remember from their time with Blakey (I think I saw them with Art somewhere in the mid 80´s , Terence Blanchard played some very very fine, pretty trumpet, and Donald Harrison played very "abstract", sometimes quite atonal, a bit unusual for a band like the Messengers. Don´t misunderstand me, I am hip to free jazz and don´t need it only "smooth", but I remember Donald Harrison´s alto sounded strange in those surroundings. 

Chet Baker - "Chet Baker In New York" (Riverside/Craft Recordings). Recently released reissue from Craft Recordings, Concord's specialty label akin to Rhino in the 90's but a little more upscale. Nice cut done by Kevin Gray. Nice jacket too. Craft recently reissued 4 Baker titles. I picked up the 3 instrumentals. Not a huge fan of Chet's vocals.

CELEBRATING CHET BAKER'S ICONIC RIVERSIDE CATALOG WITH FOUR 180-GRAM V – Craft  Recordings

Bob Dorough, Medieval Jazz Quartet plus 3 (Classic). That's a lot of recorder in one place.

The Trombones, Inc. The Continental Divide (Warner). East coast (arranged by J.J. Johnson) versus west coast (arranged by Marty Paich) massed trombones.

Friedrich Gulda, Ineffable (Columbia)Image result for Medieval Jazz QuartetImage result for Trombones Inc. Continental DivideImage result for Friedrich guilda ineffable

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

What's up with that recorder band? Are they all renaisannce-y or something else altogether? Not that far removed from a flute ensemble...

It's four recorders (soprano, alto, tenor and bass recorders), backed by George Duvivier, Paul Motian and Al Schackman (guitar). Bob Dorough is on tenor (recorder) and vocals on a couple of tracks and also wrote the charts, approaching it like he is writing for a sax section. So it's really like jazz charts for four recorders, with Bob on lead tenor; the others are not improvisers. There are lengthy humorous liner notes, which begin as two loose pages as inserts and continue on the back sleeve. Bob wants to call the group the MJQ, but realizes that "the Undertakers" might be unhappy with him. The other three recordists are members of the Manhattan Recorder Consort. It's the rare semi-humorous jazz album, but the music part is actually serious--it is good, if not something I would want to listen to often. The best piece to me was the version of Autumn Leaves for just the four recorders.

Edited by kh1958

I set up a second turntable in my house. I get deals on Denon/Marantz equipment, so I picked up a Denon DP-400. I had an extra Ortofon 2M Black cartridge that I picked up on the used market a few years back as a back up and I installed it onto this turntable. Very nice sound. My first play was the Classic Records version of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water". If you are a fan of this record, you should really try to find a copy of this for yourself. A big step up over the old Columbia 2 eye.

Wider sound stage, better highs.