What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

13 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

y'all like my new Edison Disc player???  Its a 1928 top of the line deluxe model, known as the "Shubert".  I am making up for 20 years of passed up edison diamond discs by lunch time sunday.  scored 40 today and if the ferry doesn't sink 59 more this weekend.  I got it in here exactly 23 hours ago and ive been up ever since the information load is through the roof for this thing.   Did you know edison recorded music by having the band play into a tunnel and it went down a 125 foot tube and they cut the disk at the end of the tube? and you thought RVG was nuts!  its so amazing you guys here are my first demo videos

What is #3?

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-3969685-1583766759-3657.jpeg.jpg

Yusef Lateef, "Angel Eyes" Savoy 2 LP set. LP 1.

Great music, one marathon session that yielded two LPs. Disc 1 is "The Dreamer"
R-3666850-1463424171-8944.jpeg.jpg

Featuring the not-recorded-enough Terry Pollard on piano. Yusef sounds gorgeous on oud, flute and tenor sax here. (Not surprising).

Edited by jazzbo

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Waymon Reed, Jimmy Forrest, Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

I have this record but haven't spun it in a long while. I look at this cover and remember that when I initially saw it while flipping through the bins, I thought it had an egg on the cover. :)

Edited by bresna

On 5/9/2021 at 7:21 PM, JSngry said:

Rollo Maitland, great name!

And you know that #1, Whispering", is the tune they used for " Groovin' High", right? So...mashup maybe some day?

GOD I WAS ASSUMING IT WAS A COMPLETELY SEPERATE 1920s WHISPERING.  WHEN I FIRST PUT IT ON I WAS ALL OH THERES WHISPERING, BUT I THOUGHT OHHHHHHHHHH NO CHEWY THATS OBVIOUSLY some completely seperate 1920s edison whispering...................thats it??????   MIND BLOWN FOR 579th TIME THIS WEEK.

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Now:

71WWNv6FgxL._SS500_.jpg

Up next:

618muS6J0aL._SX500_.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 7:42 AM, bresna said:

I have this record but haven't spun it in a long while. I look at this cover and remember that when I initially saw it while flipping through the bins, I thought it had an egg on the cover. :)

On 5/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, Dan Gould said:

I sort of did too, when I first saw it, but I'm glad Jim S. recommended it to me it is a nice date.

Me too.

R-1102763-1545149264-8967.jpeg.jpg

:P

More Foster & Wess, but further back in time:

R-4854944-1580567281-7814.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in 1956 and 1957

Interesting instrumentation on most cuts:  Two saxes, two trombones (Benny Powell & Henry Coker) and no pianist.  The rhythm section cooks just fine though.  Not a surprise given the players -- Kenny Burrell, Eddie Jones & Kenny Clarke.

I wonder if the pianist was a no-show... or if they were intentionally going for a lighter "West Coast" sound à la Mulligan & Baker.  The author of the liner notes doesn't say anything about it.

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

More Foster & Wess, but further back in time:

R-4854944-1580567281-7814.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in 1956 and 1957

Interesting instrumentation on most cuts:  Two saxes, two trombones (Benny Powell & Henry Coker) and no pianist.  The rhythm section cooks just fine though.  Not a surprise given the players -- Kenny Burrell, Eddie Jones & Kenny Clarke.

I wonder if the pianist was a no-show... or if they were intentionally going for a lighter "West Coast" sound à la Mulligan & Baker.  The author of the liner notes doesn't say anything about it.

I like the sound of that line-up

T. P. Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo de Cotonou Benin, No. 4

Coleman Hawkins All Stars (Prestige Swingville)

Eric Schneider and Earl Hines, Eric and Earl (Gatemouth)Image result for coleman hawkins all stars swingville prestigeImage result for Eric Schneider earl hines gatemouth

MIquel Aceves Mejia, Bajo el Cielo de Mexico (RCA)Image result for MIquel Aceves Mejia, Bajo el Cielo de MexicoImage result for orchestre poly rhuthmo de contour No. 4

Edited by kh1958