• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allen Praskin "Just Friends - Just Jazz" from 1979 live at a Jazzclub in Mannheim Germany.

I had the honour to play several dates with the great Allen Praskin, when I just was a beginner. It started around 1978, after the great late Austrian Jazzpianist and composer Fritz Pauer asked me during intermission, if I would like to sit in for one number. It was fast company: Praskin, Karl Ratzer, Fritz Pauer, Paolo Cardoso and Fritz Ozmec. 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

This again:

R-568430-1585808275-4447.jpeg.jpg

Eddie Palmieri - Superimposition (Tico, 1970)
Listening to this LP, it's not hard to understand why Palmieri is beloved by both salsa dancers and jazzheads.  :g

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Allen Praskin "Just Friends - Just Jazz" from 1979 live at a Jazzclub in Mannheim Germany.

I had the honour to play several dates with the great Allen Praskin, when I just was a beginner. It started around 1978, after the great late Austrian Jazzpianist and composer Fritz Pauer asked me during intermission, if I would like to sit in for one number. It was fast company: Praskin, Karl Ratzer, Fritz Pauer, Paolo Cardoso and Fritz Ozmec. 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Great story.  That must have been wonderful and scary!  ;)

Introducing the Gene Rodgers Trio, Jazz Comes to The Astor (Mercury). A rather good pianist whose name had never registered with me before, but he recorded with King Oliver as a teenager, and is the pianist backing Coleman Hawkins on Body and Soul. Now interested in  his Black and White leader date.

The Best of Herbie Mann (Prestige)

Shirley Scott, Soul Song (Atlantic)Image result for gene rodgers trio mercury recordsImage result for The best of Herbie Mann prestigeImage result for Shirley scott soul atlantic

Edited by kh1958

On 5/31/2021 at 4:25 AM, Gheorghe said:

Herunterladen (1).jpg

wow! that's pretty cool. I only have one of his records, Encounter, on Three Blind Mice, which is excellent.

On 26.5.2021 at 7:02 PM, HutchFan said:

Got a sudden yen for some Dizzy in a big band context. 

So I went to the shelves and pulled:

R-2741654-1299114290.jpeg.jpg

PJ-93 (mono)

Up next:

R-17544163-1614036811-9670.jpeg.jpg

LS 86022 (stereo)

Coincidentally, both LPs were released in 1965.

And both records are wonderful, IMO.

.... and both are here too and I do agree to your comments

On 23.5.2021 at 7:45 PM, mjazzg said:

Now LP.3 'Back To The Tracks', having been through 'True Blue' LP.2.  So far the seller's grade of NM is standing up, fingers crossed that continues.

Have these 2:

CD      Brooks,Tina Back to the Roots - Tina Brooks         1958-61       Blue Note  7243821737

CD      Brooks,Tina True Blue - Tina Brooks  1960  Blue Note          7243854473

What is the rest?

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

.... and both are here too and I do agree to your comments

Have these 2:

CD      Brooks,Tina Back to the Roots - Tina Brooks         1958-61       Blue Note  7243821737

CD      Brooks,Tina True Blue - Tina Brooks  1960  Blue Note          7243854473

What is the rest?

These two:

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Brooks-Back-To-The-Tracks/master/312586

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Brooks-The-Waiting-Game/master/939104

On 1.6.2021 at 5:35 PM, clifford_thornton said:

wow! that's pretty cool. I only have one of his records, Encounter, on Three Blind Mice, which is excellent.

The first recordings were with drummer James Zitro on the ESP label in NY 1967. I think, Allen was only 19 years old then. About the age I had when I played with him for the first time. Later in the 80´s, when we had a gig, he brought the album "Zig Zag" where he is featured. Such a great musician ! 

Herunterladen.jpg

Herunterladen (1).jpg

On 02/06/2021 at 9:56 PM, adh1907 said:

Bought from Sound Records Stroud at the weekend. Recommend the shop, interesting jazz selection.

A1451103-93E8-46F7-AE55-883CE7FEE554.jpeg

I don’t know that shop but next time I’m passing through I’ll check it out.

Stroud - an unlikely jazz vinyl Mecca if ever there was one. I would have said Nailsworth was more likely.