• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Hopefully Clark will get round to reissuing that one

Hopefully - but not holding my breath. According to the bio, Stan hated it. Personally, I think it’s great !

Which reminds me, I need to get ‘Free an’ One’ with Peter King, recently reissued by Clark T.

Wonder if the ‘British Jazz Explosion’ will reissue some of Stan’s albums on vinyl?

Edited by sidewinder

On 6/4/2021 at 5:00 AM, Gheorghe said:

The first recordings were with drummer James Zitro on the ESP label in NY 1967. I think, Allen was only 19 years old then. About the age I had when I played with him for the first time. Later in the 80´s, when we had a gig, he brought the album "Zig Zag" where he is featured. Such a great musician ! 

Herunterladen.jpg

Herunterladen (1).jpg

yeah, I have that Zitro LP, which is killer. I don't have the Zig Zag. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

R-5612330-1397976056-3345.jpeg.jpg

Kenny Burrell - Up the Street, 'Round the Corner, Down the Block (Fantasy, 1974)

This one should be reissued too.  Strange that it hasn't been already.

That was the album he was touring with the first time I saw him. His band, too, not a local pickup group. La Bastille in Houston (RIP). Yes, I saw Richard Wyands about a month after graduating high school! And had no idea who hey was, except that he was in Kennyy Burrell's band. And I remembered the name, couldn't do that with any of the others, though. Return with us now to the golden days of yesteryear etc.

Burrell's 70s Fantasy output is all strong, and apart from the Ellington sides, all of a piece. I shudder to think about how all 5 (minus the Ellington records) are all going to come to market, but legit pop labels have no problem packaging 5 LPs of 30-40 minute (or less!) duration into 5 CDs with original album packaging and seeing them for enough to get by on.

He probably played better "jazz" before and after, but that run from Argo/Cadet-CTI-Verve-Fantasy made for better records (except maybe Verve, but Creed Taylor did him right, finally, on CTI). If there was to be a next-gen Mosaic, one that was less concerned about the old traditions than the new, developing ones, that would make for a good steamer trunk, especially if you start at Columbia (and maybe you should!). Just very...listenable records for most all levels of audience.

10 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

did everybody see my latest disc video?  Take C- i like it better than take A.  Now just need take B to complete the series...

* oh and a better copy of A, i have a gouge in the first grooves, i need a better "A" too

helluva time machine you have there :tup

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Is there any Ellington on Edison discs?

thanks so much everybody, you guys know how much i crave the "likes" ;)

my god, i didnt think so, but i did a DAHR database search for composer credits and lo and behold, heres the only Duke related item-- a composer co-credit- i must find this now.  is this a very well known ellington song of the time/recorded by him etc-

R-7057299-1432700241-4811.jpeg.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

6 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

my god, i didnt think so, but i did a DAHR database search for composer credits and lo and behold, heres the only Duke related item-- a composer co-credit- i must find this now.  is this a very well known ellington song of the time/recorded by him etc-

There are at least 5 extant recordings of him playing it in clubs and dances according to the NEW DESOR. but the only easily found is from the Cotton Club in 1938. 

32 minutes ago, medjuck said:
6 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

There are at least 5 extant recordings of him playing it in clubs and dances according to the NEW DESOR. but the only easily found is from the Cotton Club in 1938. 

hmm- its not on the 2 volumes of Ellington / cotton club '38 i have on Jazz Archives label.....

8 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hmm- its not on the 2 volumes of Ellington / cotton club '38 i have on Jazz Archives label.....

It is on the 2 cd Storyville Cotton Club set.  BTW Volume 1 of the Masters of Jazz Ellington series has a piano roll of Jig Walk they incorrectly attribute to him.