• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Brad said:

What are you replacing it with.

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

perhaps it is time to start getting acquainted with the Steve Hoffman crowd…

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

Rega or Linn would be my recommendation. With Rega you can start more basic at e.g. Planar 3 and work up the range. I’ve used a Linn LP12 for many years and swear by it - wonderfully upgradeable but you could start with the core ‘Basik’.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

l had the same issue about 6 months ago and bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit because I wanted 45/33 switch. Very pleased with it but it's belt drive.

It was my first attempt to spend more money on kit than music!

Edited by mjazzg

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks! The P3 is one of the ones I am sizing up. I didn't know the Linn LP12 but will check it out.

The old ‘fruit box’ goes back over 40 years in design terms but over the years Linn and third parties have given options for bearing, power supply, suspension and even outer body upgrades. You can spend from circa £1.5k to £30k+. I think the only original bits on mine are the platter and outer body !  You can also get good UK dealers to build up a s/h LP12 for you - a cost effective option.

It isn’t a cheap option but it is built to last. Servicing usually a good move every 10 years or so. Another advantage is that cosmetically it can look very good. I wouldn’t worry too much about direct drive either - good belt drive will usually surpass indifferent direct drive at typical price points e.g. for Planar 3.

Paging porcy62 for his comments/thoughts on Brinkmann..:g

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It was my first attempt to spend more money on kit than music!

A slippery slope...:g

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Inexpensive decent direct drive turntables are a bit of a rare breed these days. Depending on your budget, there are a couple of Technics direct drive TTs and Cambridge Audio's Alva TT is a nice-looking option... except that it has a non-defeatable phono preamp. There is an inexpensive Pioneer direct drive built for DJs, but I don't have any idea about its quality. Other than these few options, the major players have mostly gone belt drive. No Pro-Ject or Rega direct drive TTs. VPI makes a direct drive TT but it's $15,000.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Have fun with that. You'll have one poster will post something as an absolute and then the rest of the posters will take sides and gang up on anyone who doesn't agree with them. Belt drive vs direct drive is like "Tastes great/Less Filling" for those people.

And don't even get me started about some of their recommended accessories. There are a lot of snake oil advocates over there.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

41CgF9rD2LL.jpg

What was your impression of that one? I was following Maynard in real time back in the day (jazz-rock/horn bands/high school stage bands all at once, it was like the early AACM days of self-discovery for clueless white teenagers...but at least for some of us it was an entry ramp onto a much bigger, longer, and meaningful road into...everything else), and this one seemed like it had passed a point of no return in terms of "show" vs "go". But then he kep crossing that line further and further. Maybe with hind sight this one would be less egregious than it seemed at the time? Maybe?

Or maybe this is one to give to Lot's wife?

Ha ha. It is an impenetrable place.

I have been advised that an AT LP120 with an upgraded stylus and a bit of soldering to bypass the inbuilt pre-amp (I have a fancy Rega) should provide a cut price alternative to a proper Technics. AT stuff comes up in a "second hand shop" (let's call it) near me quite often, and I was sizing that up as a cut price option. Am I being silly? The Rega 3 or the ProJect that MJazzG mentioned were my more expensive fall back options. Whatever it is needs to be robust enough to handle marauding toddlers.

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What was your impression of that one? I was following Maynard in real time back in the day (jazz-rock/horn bands/high school stage bands all at once, it was like the early AACM days of self-discovery for clueless white teenagers...but at least for some of us it was an entry ramp onto a much bigger, longer, and meaningful road into...everything else), and this one seemed like it had passed a point of no return in terms of "show" vs "go". But then he kep crossing that line further and further. Maybe with hind sight this one would be less egregious than it seemed at the time? Maybe?

Or maybe this is one to give to Lot's wife?

It’s a bit of a mixed bag with a definite commercial slant but overall I like it.  McCartney’s  ‘Jet’ for example was never going to be a modern jazz standard. Having said that, I think the band has been well captured and the trumpet pyrotechnics always impressive. I think there is one killer cut - ‘Superbone Meets The Bad Man’ which finishes off side 2, with a good outing for Bruce Johnstone (who I think was a hang over from the Ernie Garside UK band) on baritone.

I think ex board member ‘Deep’ is on drums on this LP !

I saw Maynard here in the UK with an orchestra similar to this one about 5 years later and have fond memories of it. Maynard played quite a bit on superbone that night.

Edited by sidewinder

14 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Whatever it is needs to be robust enough to handle marauding toddlers.

No turntable can "handle" marauding toddlers. A toddler grabs your TT arm with a record on there and your options are: stylus is toast, record is toast or both are toast. :)

FWiW, I just bought a turntable for my secondary listening space where I needed it to be able to on a shelf - so no traditional cover. I bought a Denon DP-400 (~$500):

Denon DP-400 Hi-Fi Turntable with Speed Auto Sensor | Nebraska Furniture  Mart

I swapped out the stock cartridge for an Ortofon 3M Black (~$750) and I have a very nice sounding turntable. With this funky cover in place, it's safe from my dog's tail, but a toddler could still reach into that opening where the stylus resides. :( BTW - that cover doubles as a cover stand, It actually works well:

Amazon.com: Denon DP-400 (White) Semi-Automatic Analog Turntable with Speed  Auto Sensor | Specially Designed Curved Tonearm | Supports 33 1/3. 45, 78  RPM (Vintage) Speeds | Modern Looks, Superior Audio: Electronics

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It’s a bit of a mixed bag with a definite commercial slant but overall I like it.  McCartney’s  ‘Jet’ for example was never going to be a modern jazz standard. Having said that, I think the band has been well captured and the trumpet pyrotechnics always impressive. I think there is one killer cut - ‘Superbone Meets The Bad Man’ which finishes off side 2, with a good outing for Bruce Johnstone (who I think was a hang over from the Ernie Garside UK band) on baritone.

Yeah, I remember that cut, they saved the one "real jazz" cut for last, like, ok, this last one is for us (and for all the longer time fans). Bruce Johnstone always came to play!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I remember that cut, they saved the one "real jazz" cut for last, like, ok, this last one is for us (and for all the longer time fans). Bruce Johnstone always came to play!

Absolutely right. If the whole album had been at that level, it would be a classic.