• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a P3 about ten years ago. It was an easy TT with a good neutral sound, No doubt it's design will have been tweaked further so it'd be hard to go wrong with one. I currently use a VPI Prime which is whole other level in terms of cost and mass.

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still thinking it through. The fact is my old one was a fairly cheap starter ProJect and, sentimentality aside, it is time to level up. Probably going to go for a direct drive option. Any recommendations welcome, as I am no tech expert.

perhaps it is time to start getting acquainted with the Steve Hoffman crowd…

I upgraded a couple of years ago from a basic ProJect to a ProJect X2.  Quite happy with it, plus you can play 45s on it, which comes in handy with labels like Music Matters or Analogue Productions. 

KFwyNKtQ.jpeg?1617804030

Wasn’t originally going to get this as I have the (then globally rare) CD but I wanted it on vinyl. First impressions - they did a really nice job, admittedly pricey over here but it does include facsimile poster, concert programme and booklet. The music and performance of course is superb. Sound is nice and crisp, matt sleeve is sort of like old style Impulse.

Edited by sidewinder

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

KFwyNKtQ.jpeg?1617804030

Wasn’t originally going to get this as I have the (then globally rare) CD but I wanted it on vinyl. First impressions - they did a really nice job, admittedly pricey over here but it does include facsimile poster, concert programme and booklet. The music and performance of course is superb. Sound is nice and crisp, matt sleeve is sort of like old style Impulse.

Yes, I tempted by that too

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I tempted by that too

Worth getting. This cut has lots of ‘presence’ and the quality is up there. I never heard last year’s vinyl version but this looks to be a better quality issue all round. Even the Hoffman Board RSD review thread is raving about it !

What you get on this one is more of a straight transfer from tape, warts and all. ‘Grandmixer DXT’ (whoever he is) who did the processing on the original issue is short-circuited. The sound to me has more presence and ‘air’.

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

KFwyNKtQ.jpeg?1617804030

I still think it's absolute garbage that they now know that the initial release was messed up but rather than send us this new cut free or offer some sort of discount for those of us who spent the money up front, they come out with the corrected version, give it a new subtitle and stand there with their hands out. Screw them. I don't care if this sounds like Monk is in the room with me, I ain't buying this.

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

CURTIS-AMY-DUPREE-BOLTON-Katanga-LP-PACI

Pacific Jazz DG stereo

Drummer Doug Sides resident and gigging over here in the UK !

Not that it means that they are right about this, but the denizens of the Hoffman forums are saying that the new Tone Poet reissue of this sounds very good. Several of them are claiming that it's the best-sounding Tone Poet yet. I would take that with a grain of salt because they always seem to elevate each new release above the previous one and because I don't see how the sound could top that Kenny Burrell Tone Poet, which sounds pretty damn good. :)

21 minutes ago, bresna said:

Not that it means that they are right about this, but the denizens of the Hoffman forums are saying that the new Tone Poet reissue of this sounds very good. Several of them are claiming that it's the best-sounding Tone Poet yet. I would take that with a grain of salt because they always seem to elevate each new release above the previous one and because I don't see how the sound could top that Kenny Burrell Tone Poet, which sounds pretty damn good. :)

Sorry to be very naive and childlike, but i had the uninformed idea that Tone Poet was for rereleases of the Blue Note back catalogue. Is whichever megacorp operating subsidiary that has the rights to monetarisation of their legacy IP just throwing in Pacific titles into the mix now too?

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Grains of salt and tons of skepticism are mandatory for perusing that forum. Less than half of what's said there should be believed, and that's probably generous. :tup

6 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Grains of salt and tons of skepticism are mandatory for perusing that forum. Less than half of what's said there should be believed, and that's probably generous. :tup

and on top of that, a grand total of one person has come from Hoffman to my Percy France website.

:excited: ;) :g

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Sorry to be very naive and childlike, but i had the uninformed idea that Tone Poet was for rereleases of the Blue Note back catalogue. Is whichever megacorp operating subsidiary that has the rights to monetarisation of their legacy IP just throwing in Pacific titles into the mix now too?

The Tone Poet series is being curated by Don Was and Joe Harley and they have not limited it to the Blue Note catalog. There have been Solid State ("Now He Sings, Now He Sobs"), Pacific Jazz ("Katanga", "Chet Baker Sings" & "New Bottle, Old Wine") and United Artists ("Money Jungle") releases sprinkled in there.

14 minutes ago, bresna said:

The Tone Poet series is being curated by Don Was and Joe Harley and they have not limited it to the Blue Note catalog. There have been Solid State ("Now He Sings, Now He Sobs"), Pacific Jazz ("Katanga", "Chet Baker Sings" & "New Bottle, Old Wine") and United Artists ("Money Jungle") releases sprinkled in there.

Thanks, good info.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Yeah, I saw that. The mania exhibited on that thread is only rivalled by the 2021 RSD thread on that forum. Reminds me of the ‘Messiah’ sketch on Life of Brian.

Good sounding session though !

Edited by sidewinder