What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-1610761-1426449029-9565.jpeg.jpg

Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop [Geffen, 1991]

featuring Dino Saluzzi, Charlie Haden, Joe Henderson ao.  Always loved this album, paid £8.29 back in 1991 according to the till receipt

Preceded by

R-1401483-1312835773.jpeg.jpg

Girl At Her Volcano [Warner Bros., 1983]

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1610761-1426449029-9565.jpeg.jpg

Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop [Geffen, 1991

What is it?

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-10547716-1499674905-1253.jpeg.jpg

Pat Thomas - The Elephant Clock Of Al Jazari [Otoroku, 2017]

I feel like Pat Thomas might be the one musician whose stock has actually risen over lockdown. He's released the best albums of his career (my opinion) and is finally getting a few mentions.

A close friend of mine who isn't even a jazz fan sees Pat Thomas as symbolic of "going out" (my fault: OTO) and texts me every time he's mentioned.

17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ah hah!

I was being dim, apologies. RLJ has a knack for interesting covers (Bad Company on her new album!).  On this album she is assisted by some interesting names. It doesn't necessarily make it any more Jazz than her other albums. I suspect she's a marmite artist. I'm a big fan.

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I was being dim, apologies. RLJ has a knack for interesting covers (Bad Company on her new album!).  On this album she is assisted by some interesting names. It doesn't necessarily make it any more Jazz than her other albums. I suspect she's a marmite artist. I'm a big fan.

Got it! 

On 6/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, sidewinder said:

Got hold of a spare. No chances taken on this one !

CS810451-01A-BIG.jpg

Have to admit it sounds great - even if it did cost a king’s ransom. Having said that, the moment I bought it, the price here seemed to drop £10..;)

Have to say that this session really comes to life on the vinyl version. Enjoyed the Conn CD but always though it sounded a bit like a rehearsal. This richer sound is a real plus.

How did you turntable/stylus handle the "Plantation Bag" torture test?

On 18.6.2021 at 6:15 PM, sidewinder said:

R-1390765-1382118499-8069.jpeg.jpg

More Pacific Jazz on the Jazz West Coast imprint. This series had some good compilations.

Agreed! IMO the best West Coast Compilation series I know.

This is the complete series

41480541jx.jpg

All here.

One of the favorites:

41480528mu.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

Julian Lage - Squint (Blue Note). I pre-ordered the Gray/Blue splatter LP just because it looked cool. :) It turns out they had Kevin Gray cut this and I've liked a lot of the Tone Poets he cut. It does sound very nice. Music is... different from what I expected. I've seen Lage play live a few times and this is less like that. He touches on many musical styles here. There's some country, some blues and some rock-lite tunes.

Julian Lage - Squint – Blue Note Records

Dealt with my problem in the end. I decided to go for a Rega Plenar 3 with an upgraded Exact cartridge. It's more than I had wanted to spend but in retrospect I am very glad I did. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. Certainly more intelligible than what was on offer from the Hoffs.

Edited by Rabshakeh

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Dealt with my problem in the end. I decided to go for a Rega Plenar 3 with an upgraded Exact cartridge. It's more than I had wanted to spend but in retrospect I am very glad I did. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. Certainly more intelligible than what was on offer from the Hoffs.

That's going to sound great, I'm sure and within no time you'll have forgotten the cost as you wallow in the SQ :)

Did it come with toddler adaptations so they can play with it when Dad's not about?

Edited by mjazzg