What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-2218993-1327442798.jpeg.jpg

Sam rivers - Dimensions & Extensions [Blue Note, 1986]

the DMM release, sounds OK but a bit thin. Would like to hear a Tone Poet of it.  The music is great.

Sam signed the cover of my copy of this DMM pressing on the top white bit. Sadly, slightly smudged - although I may try it out in my LP sized picture frame.

His favourite of the BN covers (from the horse’s mouth) was ‘A New Conception’.

The Mosaic LPs get my vote for best sound - although the twofer is good too.

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Salah Ragab, Egypt Strut (Strut)Image result for salah ragab egypt strut records records store day

Good stuff. Intriguing mix of jazz big band, Egyptian music and with Souza-type marching band influences in parts. Uncategorisable  !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

401624999892.jpg

NY, mono.

Some times ago I bought a new mono cartridge, Phasemation, retipping my old one, Lyra, was far too costly. I felt on love with the new one after the first listening. I will buy a stereo one when my old Air Tight will need a ritipping. Absolutely astonishing.

8 hours ago, porcy62 said:

401624999892.jpg

NY, mono.

Some times ago I bought a new mono cartridge, Phasemation, retipping my old one, Lyra, was far too costly. I felt on love with the new one after the first listening. I will buy a stereo one when my old Air Tight will need a ritipping. Absolutely astonishing.

My copy is a NY mono with double sided deep groove. An unusual combination.

Can’t go wrong with a new stylus or retipping !

On 6/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, clifford_thornton said:

Kind of obscure, but I've had it a few times. The album even got reissued on CD back in the late 90s (on Billy Martin's Amulet label), which is where I first heard it at our college radio station.

Great reviews, limited distribution. But it used to be findable.

Screen_Shot_2021-04-14_at_12.16.57.png?1

Advance issue of this RSD release. The home-recorded sound is more than acceptable and the music intriguing. A few understandable fluffs from some of the band in places as they get their head around the tunes but Taylor (who apparently preferred not to be playing his own work) doesn’t put a foot wrong. In that respect, he reminds me of Monk. This is a valuable new issue - comes with a great Taylor bio booklet and a nice little poster.

Edited by sidewinder