What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

QUOTE (Chuck Nessa @ May 23 2004, 06:25 PM)

Phillip Wilson Trio, "Fruits" with Leo Smith and Johnny Dyani.

Chuck - Never heard (or heard of) this one until now. I see from checking a discography that it's a Circle LP. I assume that it must be a good record if you've held onto it for this long and you still listen to it.

Sounds interesting. I've never heard of it either. But if Chuck Nessa is listening to it, that's a good recomendation to say the least!

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spinning 'True Blues' by the 'Micho Leviev Quartet' from Mole Records.

This is the Art Pepper quartet appearing in 1980 at Ronnie Scott's.

Excellent sound from three recording engineers plus two assistants. LP preswsed by Nimbus Records.

Music and sound are beautiful!

The companion LP 'Blues For The Fisherman' will be next.

Treated myself to some Morgan-Mobley today: "Dippin" and "Caddy for Daddy."

I have "Dippin" on a recent BN reissue; the sonics are surprising dull and almost muffled . Still, the music comes through, and besides M &M, I like hearing Mabes pound the piano and Higgins pound the drums :D

I have "Caddy" on a New York, USA issue, and the sound is glorious- like right there in Rudy's studio.

Those post-"Sidewinder" obligatory intro funk cuts are there on both LPs, as usual, and they sound good, if formulaic by this time, but there is also a lot of very creative writing and playing too. Mobley could write some good tunes.

Edited by Leeway

Claude Delcloo & Arthur Jones - Africanasia (BYG)

Express Rising - Express Rising (Memphix)

Ronnie Ball - All About Ronnie (Savoy)

Sun Ra - Lanquidity (Philly Jazz)

Archie Shepp - Coral Rock (America)

Jackie Mittoo - Keep on Dancing (Coxsone)

Herbie Mann - Village Vanguard (Atlantic)

Roy Haynes - Out of the Afternoon (Impulse)

Roswell Rudd - Everyehere (Impulse)

Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ of the Andes (Folkways)

Palace Bros - Arise Therefore (Drag City)

Now spinning Rene Urtreger 'Collection Privee'. The LP was released by Carlyne in the eighties. Not a bootleg. It reunites several appeartances by Urtreger with some of the great musicians he played with. There are two tracks from a Paris Olympia theater concert by Miles Davis with Barney Wilen, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke 'Bag's Groove' (sans Wilen) and 'Four'. Those two sides have never appeared elsewhere. Audio is not great but the music is top. So are the tracks - in excellent sound - with Sonny Stitt 'Sonny's Blues' and 'Autumn in New York' and 'Down' with Chet Baker, the only track that has appeared elsewhere (on the Chet Baker Carlyne album with Urtreger, Pierre Michelot and Aldo Romano). There's also a track 'Valsajane' with Wilen on soprano, Christian Escoude, Michelot and Klook).

Doubt this will be reissued in legitimate form. I think the release ran into several copyrights problems!

Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson at the Opera House. I assume it's the mono version, it has Yesterdays and It Never Entered My Mind, or are these stereo versions? I know they recorded a stero and mono version. I was never good at discographical (sp?) questions. The cover is all beat to heck, and it's taped, but the vinyl is VG+. Well, anyway, it's a great record.

"Bobby Bradford with John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble Volume One"

It's on Nessa Records. The session was recorded in 1971 but the release is 1980.

Havent listened to this one in a while, but every time I do I wonder why I don't return to it more often. Nice job Mr. Nessa!

Was that Mingus date issued in the States by Prestige as "Reincarnation of a Lovebird"? I liked that double lp.

I have been on a classical listening binge since I got, on trade, about a hundred or so classical lps over the Memorial day weekend. Some real clean copies of 50's and 60's stuff on Everest, Vanguard Stereolab, Living Stereo, etc. I am not an audiophile but I got these partly by label reputation, partly because of the performers, and partly because of the covers -- wonderful stuff. Most notable are two American Recording Society lps, a Roy Harris "Black Maskers" (I think it is called that), and Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring." Both are mono, but still sound wonderful. The Everest Paul Hindemith Symphony conducted by Adrian Boult is excellent also. And while collectors seem to drool over the Mercurys and RCAs, I haven't heard anything wrong from Vanguard Stereolab, nor Vox or early Nonesuch/Elektra. I listened to Telemann's Water Music on Nonesuch and it sounded gorgeous. Finally, and it is a guilty pleasure, because it wasn't the best sounding, but I got a bunch of Dynagrooves just to hear some of the performances. Yeah, the engineers dropped the ball on this series.