• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kenny Werner - Church On Mars (Newvelle). Kenny Werner on piano, Fender Rhodes, and Hammond B3 Organ, David Liebman on tenor and soprano saxophones and flute, James Genus on bass, Terri Lynn Carrington on drums, and Vivienne Aerts on vocals on "Embraceable You." A very well done record. Liebman's random squeals aren't my favorite solo device - they never have been - but the music shines through.

It's a shame that it is so damn expensive though.

Kenny Werner - Church on Mars – Newvelle Records

Next up - Frank Kimbrough... damn... the late Frank Kimbrough - Meantime (Newvelle).

Frank Kimbrough on piano, Andrew Zimmerman on tenor saxophone, Riley Mulherkar on trumpet, Chris Van Voorst Van Beest on bass, and R.J. Miller on drums. I am liking this one a lot. The tenor player, Andy Zimmerman, is a new name for me. I've actually ordered Zimmerman's Newvelle LP as well, "Half Light", which has the stellar band of Zimmerman, Dave Douglas, Kevin Hays and Matt Penman on bass.

Frank Kimbrough - Meantime – Newvelle Records

On 13.7.2021 at 6:21 PM, mjazzg said:

I need to relisten then too. I remember being underwhelmed at the time it was released. I had seen a storming gig of theirs at Ronnies so maybe the album suffered in comparison.

Today's been a ....... and Paul Horn day here

Mono, 1978 compilation

R-2856650-1435434008-7735.jpeg.jpg

Mono, 1960

R-2349408-1278740206.jpeg.jpg

Beware the Jazz bagpipes...

and currently

R-11531717-1518005626-2272.jpeg.jpg

maybe some Brotzmann next... But NOT after the Paul Horn session at least not for me. Have the Horn's here too.

;-]]

Edited by jazzcorner

Teddy Edwards - It's About Time (with Les McCann Trio) (Pacific Jazz). I do like this one. I found it in a used bin and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. It looks like a radio DJ copy. It has JB-303 written in big letters/numbers across the cover in magic marker and what looks like price stickers on each LP label. Who cares. The music is where it's at.

It's About Time by Teddy Edwards (Album, Hard Bop): Reviews, Ratings,  Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music

R-3507050-1511275555-1262.jpeg.jpg

IMO, Pablo jam session LPs from this era sometimes feel rudderless and lacking in cohesion -- but not this one.  Everything coalesces here.  It stands out.

I don't know why.  The lineup?  The repertoire?  Serendipity?  I dunno.  It just sounds really good.

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3507050-1511275555-1262.jpeg.jpg

IMO, Pablo jam session LPs from this era sometimes feel rudderless and lacking in cohesion -- but not this one.  Everything coalesces here.  It stands out.

I don't know why.  The lineup?  The repertoire?  Serendipity?  I dunno.  It just sounds really good.

:tup

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now:

71YOJfrzDCL._SS500_.jpg

Earlier:

71ee4EswwrL._SS500_.jpg

I haven´t seen Buddy Tate with his own group, but saw him with "Woody Herman´s All-Stars" in 1985. This was the only time I saw Woody Herman without his Herd. I think the lineup, besides Buddy Tate was Al Cohn from the older generation, and two youngsters Scott Hamilton and Varren Vaché . Veteran Joe Bunch was on piano, Jake Hanna on drums, and sorry to say that the scheduled George Duvivier on bass was not there. But a very very young bass player was very good. I don´t know who the kid was, but even Woody always looked with admiration to him, when he soloed. Woody himself played much and great clarinet and even sung a song....

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Saw Tate with Harry Edison and Urbie Green back in 1991/92 I think. Venue was NY Town Hall - the stage of which was still recognisable to me from the Monk LP cover.

I saw him much earlier - in 1959 in a Buck Clayton-led group with Emmett Berry, Dickie Wells and Earl Warren. Venue: St George's Hall, Bradford.

Edited by BillF

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Saw Tate with Harry Edison and Urbie Green back in 1991/92 I think. Venue was NY Town Hall - the stage of which was still recognisable to me from the Monk LP cover.

Really ? This must have been quite late in Harry Edison´s career. I saw him with Jaws in 1978. So, in 92 he must have been already 77 years old.

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Really ? This must have been quite late in Harry Edison´s career. I saw him with Jaws in 1978. So, in 92 he must have been already 77 years old.

Yes, he was already getting on by then - but was soloing quite nicely still. His sound of course remained totally unique.

The other half of the bill had Illinois Jacquet and his orchestra. That one had the feet tapping more than a bit.

Edited by sidewinder

1500.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

The other new Decca reissue, 2LP set. Fantastic selection, first track from ‘Windmill Tilter’ in  superior sound to the BGO CD reissue. Also comes with a very comprehensive booklet essay. :tup

Don Rendell ‘Space Walk’ from this series also a winner. Augurs well...

Edited by sidewinder