What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

34 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Simply superb ....

Yes!!!  The first of Palmieri's AMAZING run of records in the early 70s ... from Superimposition to Unfinished Masterpiece.  All extraordinary.

:wub:

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

bb9884f4cac0c223e17144b2e3838627c9e7e72f

One of Jordan's best. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-5708758-1447619433-6187.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper - Winter Moon (Galaxy)

Aha! Very fond memories of this. That was one of the first Jazz albums I ever heard and connected with. My entry point was looking for music that sounded like the orchestrated music on earlier Tom Waits albums. Not sure how close this was but it worked

Edited by mjazzg

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Aha! Very fond memories of this. That was one of the first Jazz albums I ever heard and connected with. My entry point was looking for music that sounded like the orchestrated music on earlier Tom Waits albums. Not sure how close this was but it worked

Love that. We all come to jazz from different places, but any pathway that leads to new discoveries is a good one!  :)

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-2160151-1274279097.jpeg.jpg

Yusef Lateef - 10 Years Hence [Atlantic, 1975]

First listen to a new arrival.  Always room for more of Lateef's flute, and other horns, playing in this house. Albert Heath laying down some very serious rhythms.

Never got into Yusef’s Atlantic material. Too much chug-a-chug guitar riffing from the likes of Cornel Dupree et al for me. The CTIs are even worse. Big fan though of his Savoy/Verve/Riverside/Impulse stuff. His very late recordings e.g. with the Belmondos are enjoyable too. I feel that in that middle period he lost his way somewhat. Of course, he wasn’t the only one around that time.

Edited by sidewinder

54 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Never got into Yusef’s Atlantic material. Too much chug-a-chug guitar riffing from the likes of Cornel Dupree et al for me. The CTIs are even worse. Big fan though of his Savoy/Verve/Riverside/Impulse stuff. His very late recordings e.g. with the Belmondos are enjoyable too. I feel that in that middle period he lost his way somewhat. Of course, he wasn’t the only one around that time.

I tend to agree.  This is on the right side of that line, no guitar. However it does feature Lateef or someone else making the most extraordinary vocal noise which can only be described as a distressed sheep on side 4.

Also, big thumbs up for the later stuff with Adam Rudolph and others on YAL label

Edited by mjazzg

51 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I tend to agree.  This is on the right side of that line, no guitar. However it does feature Lateef or someone else making the most extraordinary vocal noise which can only be described as a distressed sheep on side 4.

Also, big thumbs up for the later stuff with Adam Rudolph and others on YAL label

Not heard the Rudolph stuff, will have to check it out. I did see Lateef live with the Belmondo project, very late in life and that was memorable. Even watching him pack his array of instruments away was a treat.

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Not heard the Rudolph stuff, will have to check it out. I did see Lateef live with the Belmondo project, very late in life and that was memorable. Even watching him pack his array of instruments away was a treat.

Was that at the Barbican or possibly South Bank?  I saw him later in life and also remember the packing of the instruments.   Don't recall the band though, thought it was smaller than on the Belmondo recording that I have

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-5773756-1402708427-6310.jpeg.jpg

Up next:

R-9665789-1484432386-6813.jpeg.jpg

2016 Elemental reissue

Great stuff, Larry Young one of my favourites, but I think my very favourite album of his is "Unity". 

Art Pepper Quartet wonderful, great music and my favourite Quartet with him. But the cover photo is terrible. It looks like they pissin´ and Art Pepper just was not photogenic anyway, I mean you see his face and think about drugs and jail.... and somehow mean.
On the other hand , for example Chet Baker: You see he´s a live-long junkie, but he had that nice smile until the very end. When he did not disappear, he was on time, and very very articulate and if you wanted to meet him after the gig for an autograph or a photo, he could be so nice and had that smile. You can see it also on that very late interview in London, which is on video from a concert....

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Was that at the Barbican or possibly South Bank?  I saw him later in life and also remember the packing of the instruments.   Don't recall the band though, thought it was smaller than on the Belmondo recording that I have

No, at NorthSea. He was playing in one of the more low-profile outer enclosures, so it wasn’t crowded. He had the whole lot lined up - tenor, flute, argol.. The Belmondo band had the quintet plus chamber ensemble, very nice. Several familiar tracks including ‘Before Dawn’.

That NorthSea also had the last time I saw James Moody. Roy Hargrove too. Roy Haynes was also there, already a sprightly 80+ and still going strong. Another highlight was Jack DeJohnette and his Tony Williams Lifetime project.

Edited by sidewinder

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Decided to dip into this today -

a3181498123_16.jpg

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Decided to dip into this today -

a3181498123_16.jpg

On 18.7.2021 at 11:57 PM, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-5773756-1402708427-6310.jpeg.jpg

Up next:

R-9665789-1484432386-6813.jpeg.jpg

2016 Elemental reissue

And how was it (Free Music Production) ? 

I wonder what day I might choose to dip into this.....

I like some of the Free Jazz, but only thinks like Ornette, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor Unit (not solo), late Trane, Pharoah and so on, and was already on the scene when Europeans played Free Music. It was a certain clique then in those years 1976-78. Somehow, though I´m European, I can´t really get with it if it´s European "Free Jazz" because I can´t feel the roots. And the guys and girls who did those "free music meetings", I doubt most of them could play something with written chords and a song structure. Sometimes one of them tried to sit in on a session and we played something simple, let´s say "Straight No Chaser" or "Tenor Madness" and when his turn came, he would go completly out and never stopped.....

There are still kind of folks like that. Last year (in the few weeks between lock-downs) we played a few gigs with one set and jam session as the second set and there came a girl, I don´t know what stuff she had smoked before and wanted to sit in on piano and when we asked here, what tune she would like to play, she says "let´s improvise". She was not invited on stage....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

And how was it (Free Music Production) ? 

I wonder what day I might choose to dip into this.....

I like some of the Free Jazz, but only thinks like Ornette, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor Unit (not solo), late Trane, Pharoah and so on, and was already on the scene when Europeans played Free Music. It was a certain clique then in those years 1976-78. Somehow, though I´m European, I can´t really get with it if it´s European "Free Jazz" because I can´t feel the roots. And the guys and girls who did those "free music meetings", I doubt most of them could play something with written chords and a song structure. Sometimes one of them tried to sit in on a session and we played something simple, let´s say "Straight No Chaser" or "Tenor Madness" and when his turn came, he would go completly out and never stopped.....

There are still kind of folks like that. Last year (in the few weeks between lock-downs) we played a few gigs with one set and jam session as the second set and there came a girl, I don´t know what stuff she had smoked before and wanted to sit in on piano and when we asked here, what tune she would like to play, she says "let´s improvise". She was not invited on stage....

It happens all the time and may be difficult to avoid, but it makes little sense to label freely improvised music as "(free) jazz" and then judge it according to criteria specific to "jazz".