Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

How's the sound on the LP?  The CD is maddeningly inconsistent - volume levels can fluctuate wildly, even within tracks.

It's not the best. The guitar is quite low in the mix. The organ seemed to fluctuate between being too low to loud on the first side. I found it sounded better when I turned it up pretty loud when listening to the second side.

Now spinning:

Dick-Wellstood-Hanrattys-600.png

Dick Wellstood - Live at Hanratty's (Chaz Jazz, 1981)

Believe it or not, this 2-LP set opens with a ruminative and inward version of "Jingle Bells" -- a description that one wouldn't usually associate with that song!  Otherwise, there's a raft of Fats Waller-associated tunes.  But Wellstood again does his own thing with them.  It's all good fun -- and living music through tunes that happen to be old.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I have this on CD but the sound is a bit thin. How's the LP? The music is tight...

36 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I didn't notice that, Dub.  But my 53-year-old ears ain't what they used to be! ;) 

Ok, now I don't know whether or not to go for a CD or insist on a LP. Pretty much everybody's Digital was thin sounding in those days...clean but thin...but if Pablo put an analog layer in it for the LP that they did not for the CD, then the LP would be my choice.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, now I don't know whether or not to go for a CD or insist on a LP. Pretty much everybody's Digital was thin sounding in those days...clean but thin...but if Pablo put an analog layer in it for the LP that they did not for the CD, then the LP would be my choice.

It's definitely possible that the LP sounds better.

The version that I found in the shop happened to be semi-translucent red vinyl.

R-3387549-1432498017-3634.jpeg.jpg

I think this may be the ONLY colored vinyl in my entire collection.  Not certain.  But I don't recall any others.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As an owner of the CD I'd rec trying the LP first. Edit to add, if you're interested, message me and I'll send a track so you can hear it. 

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think this may be the ONLY colored vinyl in my entire collection.  Not certain.  But I don't recall any others.

Very cool!

Edited by Dub Modal

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I just ordered a NM copy from a discogs seller for $12. Looking forward to hearing it.

8 minutes ago, bresna said:

Just finished - Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth (Impulse!/Analogue Productions).

R-3775239-1484997002-7157.jpeg.jpg

Now playing - William Parker - Petit Oiseau (Shortwave Records/Aum).

Undecided on that one. Have far too many versions (including an orig) already.

One of my favourite versions is the UK domestic issue from 1976 which came with a US sleeve. Bust a gut with my School Summer hol job carting sacks of cement to afford that one !

Edited by sidewinder