What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Undecided on that one. Have far too many versions (including an orig) already.

One of my favourite versions is the UK domestic issue from 1976 which came with a US sleeve. Bust a gut with my School Summer hol job carting sacks of cement to afford that one !

To be honest, I only bought this because I was in a local shop and saw it in the bins... pumping a little money into the local economy. :)

I actually compared it a bit to my "go to" CD version (UCCI-9030) and I think the CD sounds a bit better. I'm not worried though because this is my only vinyl version.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, bresna said:

To be honest, I only bought this because I was in a local shop and saw it in the bins... pumping a little money into the local economy. :)

I actually compared it a bit to my "go to" CD version (UCCI-9030) and I think the CD sounds a bit better. I'm not worried though because this is my only vinyl version.

Thanks for that - interesting.

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Is that the US issue?

It is.  Got bored waiting for a UK one. 

Now listening to the Redial CD of 'Free Form' and the 'Abstract' LP sounds so much fuller and less bright. How's the 'Free Form' LP sound (assuming you have it, you do don't you?)?

Edited by mjazzg

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It is

Aha. I have a UK Columbia version somewhere (if I can find it). As renowned for Shake Keane’s brandy glass.

Looks like this.lR-785856-1298040544.jpeg.jpg

Amazing to think that that studio is now someone’s front room. I nearly got in there once..

9-RoyBrooksCover_2048x-800x800.jpg

3LP version

Followed by

R-1155417-1443528787-6384.jpeg.jpg

Muse

Edited by sidewinder

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It is.  Got bored waiting for a UK one. 

Now listening to the Redial CD of 'Free Form' and the 'Abstract' LP sounds so much fuller and less bright. How's the 'Free Form' LP sound (assuming you have it, you do don't you?)?

Yes, I have the Jazzland. Haven’t played it for a while but it sounds fine. To be honest, I probably play them more on CD.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK ‘Abstract’ in the shops - that copy was picked up many years ago from the late lamented JazzInVinyl. Clifford will remember that one !

Edited by sidewinder

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I have the Jazzland. Haven’t played it for a while but it sounds fine. To be honest, I probably play them more on CD.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK ‘Abstract’ in the shops - that copy was picked up many years ago from the late lamented JazzInVinyl. Clifford will remember that one !

Well if you don't listen to your 'Free Form' LP...:)

22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Well if you don't listen to your 'Free Form' LP...:)

If I could find it I would play it more. Need a Librarian..:D

’Free Form’ should be easier to get hold of. I think it was only a US issue at the time, in fact I think I bought my copy in the US and was not expensive.

Correction - it came out in Europe on Interdisk.

Amazingly, just found my ‘Free Form’. It is in fact the UK Interdisk version in Mono, not the US. Sounds fine ! 

R-12541901-1537283895-2907.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

If I could find it I would play it more. Need a Librarian..:D

’Free Form’ should be easier to get hold of. I think it was only a US issue at the time, in fact I think I bought my copy in the US and was not expensive.

Correction - it came out in Europe on Interdisk.

Amazingly, just found my ‘Free Form’. It is in fact the UK Interdisk version in Mono, not the US. Sounds fine ! 

Funnily enough, I was a librarian for 20 years...

Copies of 'free Form' have been predominantly in US since I've been tracking it. Copies tend to be VG, hardly party music! Prices creeping up for a nice copy but isn't that the case across the LP board at the moment.

Edit to add: just pulled the trigger on a mono Jazzland

Edited by mjazzg

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Funnily enough, I was a librarian for 20 years...

Copies of 'free Form' have been predominantly in US since I've been tracking it. Copies tend to be VG, hardly party music! Prices creeping up for a nice copy but isn't that the case across the LP board at the moment.

Again, this isn’t one that I’ve regularly come across in the racks here. The US Jazzland is probably more commonly encountered. Similar situation I think with the Don Rendell.

Racking my brains as to where I picked this one up. I have the feeling it was from Euclid in the US but if so, odd that they had the UK press !

Just now, sidewinder said:

Again, this isn’t one that I’ve regularly come across in the racks here. The US Jazzland is probably more commonly encountered. Similar situation I think with the Don Rendell.

Racking my brains as to where I picked this one up. I have the feeling it was from Euclid in the US but if so, odd that they had the UK press !

Just bought a copy from the US of the US pressing.  The dangers/delights of talking about LPs!

With a bit of luck perhaps they will be reissued under Decca’s latest reissue programme with the Gearbox mastering.

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I had no idea that these Harriotts even came out in the US. Does the fact that they are more easily found mean that they sold in the US?

I'm tempted at the idea of improved sound on vinyl. I've always thought the digital versions sounded quite flat.

Maybe they were just produced over there in far greater quantity? These would have been Bill Grauer issues and if my memory is right, he ended up bankrupting Riverside/Jazzland due to overproduction of LPs that didn’t sell (no doubt then followed by dumping them in the deletions bins).

Edited by sidewinder

Then I'd have to buy them again!

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I had no idea that these Harriotts even came out in the US. Does the fact that they are more easily found mean that they sold in the US?

I'm tempted at the idea of improved sound on vinyl. I've always thought the digital versions sounded quite flat.

Looking at Discogs, the Interdisc European issue of 'Free Form' that sidewinder has has never been sold.  Jazzland was a US company so I'm assuming they licensed it for European release.

As for 'Abstract', the UK Columbia Lansdowne Series seems to have been more available. So did Columbia spot the potential in the reaction  to 'Free Form' to jump onto 'Abstract' for the Lansdowne Series.