Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I have Southern Horizons & Free Form on Jazzland LPs, both pulled out of cutout bins ca. 1972. Don't know that I've seen either since, so...

I have a 3 LP on 2 CD release of those 2 + Abstract on Fresh Sounds (came out 2014 I believe).

R-3566087-1335534374.jpeg.jpg

Masahiko Togashi - Spiritual Nature [East Wind, 1975]

I love it when I remember to play this album, it's so good.  Great recording too.  Another LP purchase prompted by this board a few years ago.

Edit to add: I'm really surprised this hasn't been picked up and fetishised by the 'Spiritual Jazz' mavens. It's got all the constituent parts.  BBE, Mr Bongo or similar would cash in on this, I'm sure.

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-3566087-1335534374.jpeg.jpg

Masahiko Togashi - Spiritual Nature [East Wind, 1975]

I love it when I remember to play this album, it's so good.  Great recording too.  Another LP purchase prompted by this board a few years ago.

Edit to add: I'm really surprised this hasn't been picked up and fetishised by the 'Spiritual Jazz' mavens. It's got all the constituent parts.  BBE, Mr Bongo or similar would cash in on this, I'm sure.

this is such a good album, kicking myself for not getting Rings which was available at the same time... but at least I got this one and it's great... and I do agree it's the kind of album one tends to forget (as a matter of fact, a significant fraction of the Kikuchi and Togashi cds is permanently stored on top of the cd player, partly due to space restrictions, but partly because it's always good to have the reminder )

3 minutes ago, Niko said:

this is such a good album, kicking myself for not getting Rings which was available at the same time... but at least I got this one and it's great... and I do agree it's the kind of album one tends to forget (as a matter of fact, a significant fraction of the Kikuchi and Togashi cds is permanently stored on top of the cd player, partly due to space restrictions, but partly because it's always good to have the reminder )

I don't have 'Rings'. I wasn't sure about 2 LPs of solo percussion. Would you recommend it?

Meanwhile I'm onto these two by him. Both very good indeed and different to 'Spiritual Nature'

R-1037517-1186829916.jpeg.jpg

R-6649701-1423852351-8558.jpeg.jpg

Like I wrote, I didn't buy Rings because normally solo albums by drummer don't work for me at all (so, in particular, I only know it from the little that's on youtube)... but with Togashi, stuff that otherwise wouldn't work seems to work for me... you get into this Zen mode [or, your best imitation of a Zen mode] and the music is just so good...

Edited by Niko

20 minutes ago, Niko said:

Like I wrote, I didn't buy Rings because normally solo albums by drummer don't work for me at all (so, in particular, I only know it from the little that's on youtube)... but with Togashi, stuff that otherwise wouldn't work seems to work for me... you get into this Zen mode [or, your best imitation of a Zen mode] and the music is just so good...

Sorry, I obviously didn't read your post closely enough.  Thanks for the YouTube. I need some Zen right now

20 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This is transporting me back to Chicago 40 years ago. On board are John Young, Ari Brown, Von Freeman, Grady Johnson, Milton Suggs and Robert Shy.

Luba knew how to round up the cats.

R-7736980-1447989243-8211.jpeg.jpg

whoa, thanks for shining some light on this, totally unknown to me...checked out a few YouTube clips that Milton Suggs posted and then found a copy at DG.  It's on the way!

What is the story on Luba Raushiek? That's a new name for me.

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

whoa, thanks for shining some light on this, totally unknown to me...checked out a few YouTube clips that Milton Suggs posted and then found a copy at DG.  It's on the way!

What is the story on Luba Raushiek? That's a new name for me.

Firstly, the YouTube stuff was posted by Milton Suggs Jr, not the bass player on the record. Luba was a friendly spirit who popped up once in a while. Never knew his history.

I've since picked up the recent CD reissue of this as well (initially the label said they were doing only vinyl), but I'm spinning the LP in honor of the friend who waited in line with me for this on Record Store Day in 2017.  He and his family are moving away to Texas tomorrow.  Safe and interesting travels always, Sam:

1117TQR.jpg