• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Get pouring...

On a completely different tack, I saw this exhibition yesterday https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/charlotte-perriand-the-modern-life

Very interesting, great design and some lovely chairs. Perhaps a bit early for your tastes?

Well, we have an Art Deco bedroom set, and a Bauhaus Wassily chair, but much of what we have is 40s-60s designs, or newer designs in those styles.

On 8/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, mjazzg said:

R-4033378-1353009426-8420.jpeg.jpg

Dick Grove Orchestra - Little Bird Suite [Pacific Jazz, 1963 mono]

such a good record. Mine's too crackly, replacement just ordered.

A space-age bachelor pad classic!

On 7/31/2021 at 8:27 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Sabu - Jazz Espagnole

R-424610-1190897146.jpeg.jpg

Sah-boooo!

Love this album!

R-584224-1304174509.jpeg.jpg

Friedhelm Schönfeld

got this last weekend, inspired by that Euro modernism thread even though it's from a bit later (1978), I just felt like I needed more of those Amigas in my life. It's a nice free album with the leader on reeds + flute, the virtuoso Aladar Pege on bass, a drummer and on one track an additional cello...

8 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-584224-1304174509.jpeg.jpg

Friedhelm Schönfeld

got this last weekend, inspired by that Euro modernism thread even though it's from a bit later (1978), I just felt like I needed more of those Amigas in my life. It's a nice free album with the leader on reeds + flute, the virtuoso Aladar Pege on bass, a drummer and on one track an additional cello...

Pleased to hear that it's good as I also ordered a copy for much the same reasons. Mind you, Discogs seller is being very slow so whether it will turn up is a different matter

went through the big city (Amsterdam) in something of a rush on Saturday but ended up buying some pretty cool things like the Schönfeld album, a bottle of that British trappist ale you mentioned recently (excellent, definitely near the top of the more recently established trappist beers - haven't tried the Italian one though),  and also this album which is up next

R-563141-1455883330-4996.jpeg.jpg

Loek Dikker Waterland Ensemble - Tan Tango

Dutch free jazz meets third stream, I guess this is comparable to what someone like Willem Breuker did at the same time (mid 70s), played by a medium-sized band with three reeds, four brass and two violins

Just now, Niko said:

went through the big city (Amsterdam) in something of a rush on Saturday but ended up buying some pretty cool things like the Schönfeld album, a bottle of that British trappist ale you mentioned recently (excellent, definitely near the top of the more recently established trappist beers - haven't tried the Italian one though),  and also this album which is up next

R-563141-1455883330-4996.jpeg.jpg

Loek Dikker Waterland Ensemble - Tan Tango

Dutch free jazz meets third stream, I guess this is comparable to what someone like Willem Breuker did at the same time (mid 70s), played by a medium-sized band with three reeds, four brass and two violins

Sounds like a good trip.  Really pleased you enjoyed the Tynt ale (brewed at the monastery where my late uncle spent his life). That Dikker has a great cover.

the cover is indeed one of the album's biggest selling points... (I also like Gerd Dudek a lot, and I like how the bio for one of the violin players says that he usually plays "schmalzy semi-classical music") guess I'll have to order the companion album now, if only for the cover (this one)

14 minutes ago, Niko said:

the cover is indeed one of the album's biggest selling points... (I also like Gerd Dudek a lot, and I like how the bio for one of the violin players says that he usually plays "schmalzy semi-classical music") guess I'll have to order the companion album now, if only for the cover (this one)

I'm listening to this now.  Very interesting and by the looks of Discogs very difficult to find

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm listening to this now.  Very interesting and by the looks of Discogs very difficult to find

yes... those three albums on that label all look quite tempting... for me, the first looks most promising, Soulbrass Inc at the Bohemia Jazz Club... every cover seems to look different here (check discogs) and it's a progressive organ group with a good organ player (Herbert Noord) and Hans Dulfer on tenor... luckily, the later stuff on the Waterland label is easier to find...

R-4838984-1377105102-8524.jpeg.jpg

Gijs Hendriks-Beaver Harris Quartet ‎– Sound Compound

almost bought a second copy of this one but then rightly suspected that I already own it... so playing it now to let that sink in... Hendriks (reeds) and Bert van Erk (b) had a long standing group with varying guests on piano and drums, the number one jazz group in the city of Utrecht... for this 1986 album, it's Beaver Harris on drums and the excellent Belgian pianist Charles Loos

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

What’s Euromodernistic about a bag of chips? :huh:

From a comment early in that thread (my comment - I was being egomaniacal). In contrast to TKK's view of 1950s/60s jazz modernism in Europe being sunshine, Vespas and existentialism, I suggested it was more drizzle, chips and a desperate yearning for all things American. Italy excepted, of  course.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

From a comment early in that thread (my comment - I was being egomaniacal). In contrast to TKK's view of 1950s/60s jazz modernism in Europe being sunshine, Vespas and existentialism, I suggested it was more drizzle, chips and a desperate yearning for all things American. Italy excepted, of course.

Ah, OK.

R-9722856-1499445751-6844.jpeg.jpg

Gijs Hendriks - Stan Tracey Quartet ‎– Live Recordings

to close the circle of "before lunch listening"... for this 1981 album on Loek Dikker's Waterland label, Hendriks, van Erk and their then regular drummer Michael Baird got Stan Tracey from the UK on piano, quite different from Loos but also excellent, obviously... Tracey played on no less than four Hendriks albums around that time (two of them with a larger band though)

46 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-9722856-1499445751-6844.jpeg.jpg

Gijs Hendriks - Stan Tracey Quartet ‎– Live Recordings

to close the circle of "before lunch listening"... for this 1981 album on Loek Dikker's Waterland label, Hendriks, van Erk and their then regular drummer Michael Baird got Stan Tracey from the UK on piano, quite different from Loos but also excellent, obviously... Tracey played on no less than four Hendriks albums around that time (two of them with a larger band though)

That collaboration is mentioned quite a bit in the Stan Tracey biography. 

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

and yet more European Modernism.  I've never known a thread to mushroom quite so much or is it just in my listening life?

I've been enjoying a lot of the recommendations recently too.

As to the thread, I'll let the old timers who were here for the Funny Rat thread respond to that.

12 hours ago, Niko said:

yes... those three albums on that label all look quite tempting... for me, the first looks most promising, Soulbrass Inc at the Bohemia Jazz Club... every cover seems to look different here (check discogs) and it's a progressive organ group with a good organ player (Herbert Noord) and Hans Dulfer on tenor... luckily, the later stuff on the Waterland label is easier to find...

Noord posts here once in a while. 

Love Cry & Super Nimbus is definitely a "want"... the Soulbrass Inc. record is quite excellent.

Grupo Niche - No Hay Quinto Malo (Codiscos, 1984)

R-18260509-1618203358-7800.png.jpg

Classic Colombian salsa from the 80s. I've been looking for this for years and was even thinking of importing it, then found it for £15 this afternoon in Spitalfields Market.

It comes in a weird plastic coat. No inner sleeve, just plastic coated. I'm not sure whether that's a Columbian thing. The outer plastic has been pricked with incredibly neat cursive writing in Spanish - presumably an import notice, but I have no idea how you could make marks like that - and they are clearly by hand - on loose sticky plastic.

I also got this one for £5:

Phil Woods / Lew Tabackin (Omni Sound, 1981)

R-3839775-1477472952-7624.jpeg.jpg

Overall, I am pleased with myself.

Edited by Rabshakeh