• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Noord posts here once in a while. 

Love Cry & Super Nimbus is definitely a "want"... the Soulbrass Inc. record is quite excellent.

didn't know he posts here - just read your article back then and got three of his less collectible albums which are quite nice as well (same with Dikker and with the de Graaff / Vennik group - luckily all three albums on that label are the beginnings of longer discographies with easier to find albums)

R-2714944-1297774244.jpeg.jpg

Thomas Pelzer Limited - TPL

a lucky score a few years ago since the badly damaged sleeve (persistent stickers from its former life in a public library) pushed this into my price range... if this was as good as it looks on paper, it would be completely amazing - Rene Thomas and Jacques Pelzer are Belgian favorites and the rhythm section of Rein de Graaff, Henk Haverhoek and Han Bennink is hard to beat in general... but somehow, the album is recorded incredibly badly for a studio album from 1974... with the piano and drums being almost inaudible behind the bass... and somehow, I lack the imagination what this music would be like if I could hear it properly

R-541720-1133718785.jpeg.jpg

Gunter Hampel & The Galaxie Dream Band [Birth Records, 1974]

Hampel should have such a greater reputation than I get the impression he does.  Always top-notch players and compositions.  The very considerable added bonus of the inestimable Jeanne Lee makes a lot of his albums very special.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-541720-1133718785.jpeg.jpg

Gunter Hampel & The Galaxie Dream Band [Birth Records, 1974]

Hampel should have such a greater reputation than I get the impression he does.  Always top-notch players and compositions.  The very considerable added bonus of the inestimable Jeanne Lee makes a lot of his albums very special.

I always end up digging out his records with Marion Brown.

6 hours ago, Niko said:

didn't know he posts here - just read your article back then and got three of his less collectible albums which are quite nice as well (same with Dikker and with the de Graaff / Vennik group - luckily all three albums on that label are the beginnings of longer discographies with easier to find albums)

yeah, excellent player. Still active in Amsterdam -- those cheese warehouse sessions are mighty fine. Look him up on YouTube. Thanks for checking the interview!

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Great record.

7 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

Thanks. I purchased this rather inexpensively from an eBay seller named funkyousounds, who from time to time lists a lot of jazz in pretty good condition. He’s generally accurate in his grading. Right now he’s listing rock but every few weeks he lists about a thousand jazz LPs. 

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thanks. I purchased this rather inexpensively from an eBay seller named funkyousounds, who from time to time lists a lot of jazz in pretty good condition. He’s generally accurate in his grading. Right now he’s listing rock but every few weeks he lists about a thousand jazz LPs. 

I bought a NY Mono of 'Unity' from that seller which was in perfect condition. I always look at their listings now.

Muddy Waters, Live in Los Angeles 1954 (GNP Crescendo, ten inch). When you are Gene Norman's child and clean out his garage, what you find is a tape of a short live set (five songs) from Muddy Waters (the earliest live recording of the Chicago based Muddy Waters?). No Little Walter (Little George is on harmonica), but Otis Spann and Jimmy Rogers are present.

Kippie Moketsi/Hal Singer, Blue Stompin'

Erroll Garner/Billy Taylor (Savoy)

Archie Shepp, Live in Paris 1974

Image result for kippie Mokeksi hal singer blueCD, LP, Vinyl record album cover art

Edited by kh1958

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Muddy Waters, Live in Los Angeles 1954 (GNP Crescendo, ten inch). When you are Gene Norman's child and clean out his garage, what you find is a tape of a short live set (five songs) from Muddy Waters (the earliest live recording of the Chicago based Muddy Waters?). No Little Walter (Little George is on harmonica), but Otis Spann and Jimmy Rogers are present.

Say what?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Say what?

Neil Norman's liner notes say he found the tape in his father Gene Norman's garage in the 1990s. http://gnpcrescendo.com/wp/

MUDDY WATERS LIVE IN LOS ANGELES 1954

>> Link to purchase<<

• GNP Crescendo proudly presents a brand new, never-before-heard recording that is essential listening for any student of the blues. Live In Los Angeles 1954 captures the father of the electric blues, Muddy Waters, at the peak of his powers, in a riveting performance that easily explains an immense reputation that continues to this day.

• Muddy and his band were appearing at one of deejay and impresario Gene Norman’s legendary blues and jazz promotions at the Shrine Auditorium, which drew unprecedented mixed race crowds to hear some of the best talent the black music world had to offer. On this particular occasion, Muddy’s ensemble featured such luminaries as pianist Otis Spann and harmonica legend Little George.

• Their twenty minute set includes the blues classics made famous by Muddy, ‘Hoochie Coochie Man’ and ‘I Just Want To Make Love To You,’ along with exciting romps through ‘Baby Please Don’t Go’ and ‘I’m Ready,’ and there is the bonus of a brief interview with the great man.

• The tape of the performance has lain in the Crescendo vaults for decades, until dusted off for this special issue. The sound quality is sensational for a recording of such vintage, and the package is presented on 10-inch vinyl in a deluxe tip-on sleeve, with art in the mode of the iconic early 1950s Gene Norman Presents releases.

16 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Neil Norman's liner notes say he found the tape in his father Gene Norman's garage in the 1990s. http://gnpcrescendo.com/wp/

MUDDY WATERS LIVE IN LOS ANGELES 1954

>> Link to purchase<<

• GNP Crescendo proudly presents a brand new, never-before-heard recording that is essential listening for any student of the blues. Live In Los Angeles 1954 captures the father of the electric blues, Muddy Waters, at the peak of his powers, in a riveting performance that easily explains an immense reputation that continues to this day.

• Muddy and his band were appearing at one of deejay and impresario Gene Norman’s legendary blues and jazz promotions at the Shrine Auditorium, which drew unprecedented mixed race crowds to hear some of the best talent the black music world had to offer. On this particular occasion, Muddy’s ensemble featured such luminaries as pianist Otis Spann and harmonica legend Little George.

• Their twenty minute set includes the blues classics made famous by Muddy, ‘Hoochie Coochie Man’ and ‘I Just Want To Make Love To You,’ along with exciting romps through ‘Baby Please Don’t Go’ and ‘I’m Ready,’ and there is the bonus of a brief interview with the great man.

• The tape of the performance has lain in the Crescendo vaults for decades, until dusted off for this special issue. The sound quality is sensational for a recording of such vintage, and the package is presented on 10-inch vinyl in a deluxe tip-on sleeve, with art in the mode of the iconic early 1950s Gene Norman Presents releases.

Wonder if there are any other tapes in the vaults. 

Edited by medjuck