What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, bresna said:

What's weird about this trio recording is that the next day, the quartet recorded "The Last Time We Saw Paris", so it's not like Desmond was somewhere else... unless Desmond headed to Paris a day early. :)

They had been playing in Hamburg, and Desmond met his old friend Herb Geller and they got lost on the Reeperbahn. Desmond was drinking too much and did not show up for the flight to Vienna. He caught the plane to Paris to join them two days later. 

Earlier discussion here.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This arrived yesterday. Very good recorded sound, faultless pressing. Nice to hear Brubeck, Wright, and Morello stretch out. I wish Brubeck would have embarked on a  trio adventure, if only for a few years. They do very unexpected things with the standards here. 

2018627.jpg

Yes, it's a pity that Brubeck's Trio activities were rather limited ....

On 7/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, HutchFan said:

This again:

R-3387549-1328434051.jpeg.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 7:20 PM, bresna said:

I just ordered a NM copy from a discogs seller for $12. Looking forward to hearing it.

My copy just came in today. Great shape and it plays very clean. Bass is a bit on the weaker side, typical of the era. Great music though. Thanks for recommending this. It took a while, but I finally got the chance to hear it tonight.

7 minutes ago, bresna said:

My copy just came in today. Great shape and it plays very clean. Bass is a bit on the weaker side, typical of the era. Great music though. Thanks for recommending this. It took a while, but I finally got the chance to hear it tonight.

Hey, that's GREAT.  So glad you're enjoying it!  :tup 

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I know, bloody hipsters listening to Jazz, it was all so much easier 20 years ago.  I assume it's up to standard?

On the basis of side 1 track 1, sounds pretty good, nice and crisp. I have a good original so will check against it at some stage. Certainly trounces the BGO CD, fine release though that was.

One thing I like from this issue is that the fine rhythm section interplay with Holland, McLaughlin and co. comes through nice and clearly. 

Next stop - Le Dejeuner Sur LHerbe..

Edited by sidewinder

36 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

On the basis of side 1 track 1, sounds pretty good, nice and crisp. I have a good original so will check against it at some stage. Certainly trounces the BGO CD, fine release though that was.

One thing I like from this issue is that the fine rhythm section interplay with Holland, McLaughlin and co. comes through nice and clearly. 

Next stop - Le Dejeuner Sur LHerbe..

thanks, order will be placed. Is there any listings of what's coming after Dejeuner yet?  They really should set a subscription for this series

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

thanks, order will be placed. Is there any listings of what's coming after Dejeuner yet?  They really should set a subscription for this series

No word that I’ve seen of as yet. The double album will presumably give some clues as to the shortlist though.

15 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I have a CD reissue of Dejeuner. It's excellent.

Yes. that was a good CD issue. The LP came out originally and most unusually on UK Verve. There weren’t too many British jazz issues on that imprint. NJO and Phil Seamen come to mind. Both issues were very scarce.

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Good move, both are worth having. As for me - just self-bankrupted and ordered the Lee Morgan Box, which is a must have for me.  It will be interesting to see if it actually arrives. 

Crikey! nice one.  Where did you find it in stock in the UK?

I'm someone who finds the 3CD version more than enough so I can happily sit this one out I think

Edited by mjazzg

Amazon are currently listing it. Delivery quoted as 1st Sept. The price seems to be as good as anywhere over here and who knows, may actually drop (not holding my breath).

Yep, I’ve lived with and enjoyed the 3CD version from the time it came out. David Weiss has said some good things about the sound of the new issue, it’s Kevin Gray/RTI for the LPs and the Hoffmann Board people are already frothing at the mouth so resistance is futile. :D

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Amazon are currently listing it. Delivery quoted as 1st Sept. The price seems to be as good as anywhere over here and who knows, may actually drop (not holding my breath).

Yep, I’ve lived with and enjoyed the 3CD version from the time it came out. David Weiss has said some good things about the sound of the new issue, it’s Kevin Gray/RTI for the LPs and the Hoffmann Board people are already frothing at the mouth so resistance is futile. :D

I'd take an LP's worth of 'Neophilia' any day of the week