• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Walter Raim Concept.  

• Endless Possiblities
  • Brave New Concepts Century 21 Orchestra.  

Both of these are on the MTA label.  Endless Possibilities consists of mostly originals, but also a couple of Bacharach covers.  There is a chorus, and there are lyrics.  It conveys that post-Jesus Christ Superstar air of young couples finding themselves.  The second album  is instrumental versions of classics, with a "rock" beat. 

Both are wonderful records for today's young couple as they prepare dinner and drink wine, but in particular, I go for Endless Possibilities of the two.

did you know (I did not, but didn't really care enough to find out until just now) that MTA Records was run by Bob Thompson?

https://www.discogs.com/label/102555-MTA-Records-2

I had hoped that their first Watrous record would have been a prelude to the one with Water Raim, but no, it is a very sad totally-at-face-value "easy listening" record. Walter Raim had a pretty limited run, MTA apparently did a LOT of 45s, and never thid that yield a lost bonanza.

The one MTA thing that might be interesting (apart from one called "Stainless Soul" by a Baltimore band called The New Apocalypse by somebody called are the ones by Bert Collins/Joe Shepley, Collins/Shepley Galaxy they are called, arranged by Mike Abene. I THINK I found one on a blog a while back, but if I did, it did not impress like the Watrous/Raim record did. THAT one...it used to get played on a local Easy Listening FM station when I was in high school, never back-announced for anything, but in the meantime, Bill Watrous had gotten a name for himself. So when I saw that record in a Woolco cutout bin and was all WTF? and yeah, 99 cents, sure. Took it home and IMMMEDIATELY recognized it as THAT record.

Collins/Shepley Galaxy, two records, one on YouTube, the other not(?). The opne not is an album of Beatles tunes. The other one is a pretty good, if normal, jazz record. I want to hear the Beatles covers.

But until then...

Lee Konitz Meets Warne Marsh Again (Pausa, 1984)

R-4358679-1533556803-7618.jpeg.jpg

A real gem, recorded in 1976, around the same time as Marsh's 70s revival on record with All Music and Tenor Gladness. Konitz is also at his angular 70s peak. It features the late Peter Ind. 

With thanks to whoever it was who recommended it in the Blow Brother Konitz thread back in May (possibly JS).