• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joy was a strange little label though. A budget subsidiary of President records, set up after President had got rights to Vee-Jay material.

But I see the Vee-Jay version also has Buhaina on the sleeve.

R-3297404-1337024669-4462.jpeg.jpg

A compilation...

Well, we all don't know as much as we think we know.

MG 

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Hooray for James Moody!  :D 

Definitely! I can't believe I've slept on him for so long. I have another three in the post at the moment. My new obsession...

He's hitting a similar spot that Yusef Lateef does for me. Thank you for all your Moody posts that eventually nudged me in the right direction.

Just now, mjazzg said:

Definitely! I can't believe I've slept on him for so long. I have another three in the post at the moment. My new obsession...

He's hitting a similar spot that Yusef Lateef does for me. Thank you for all your Moody posts that eventually nudged me in the right direction.

I'm happy that the Moody bug bit you. :) The man made amazing, SOULFUL music that's often overlooked.  

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

So far I've gone for late 50s through to a Muse. I saw a Novus, how are the later dates?

I have one of Moody's Novus records, Something Special.  It's very good -- but, IMO, it's not quite on the same level as those prime years.

From Moody's later years, my favorite very well could be Our Delight with Hank Jones on IPO.  

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The later (on both Novus & WB) dates tend to be a bit "produced", but the last dates (on IPO) are badass. But - do not hesitate to go backwards as well. The late-40s/early 50s stuff are magnificent.

https://jamesmoody.com/discography/

Thanks a lot.

On this now

R-2672034-1398750148-9463.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks a lot.

On this now

R-2672034-1398750148-9463.jpeg.jpg

Bought that from Mole in the deletions rack over 40 years ago !

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I have one of Moody's Novus records, Something Special.  It's very good -- but, IMO, it's not quite on the same level as those prime years.

From Moody's later years, my favorite very well could be Our Delight with Hank Jones on IPO.  

I have that one but find it a bit over-sickly with the souped-up synth, I’m afraid. Correction to say I’m thinking of ‘Sweet and Lovely’.

Edited by sidewinder