Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

How's that Miranda? I love him as a bass player but don't own any of his leader dates.

It's solo. Uses the full range of the bass, some extended techniques but fundamentally melodic, lots of space.  Very spiritual if you read the sleeve notes, inspired by his faith which I think is transmitted in the music. Many might call it "Spiritual" because of the label it's on, I won't.

This was my first listen and I'm pleased I bought it. I think it will get many more outings

Now I'm on another new arrival

R-2838486-1611825011-2585.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Williams - Life Time [Blue Note, Liberty 1971]

sounds great, what a band

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

A5-D8-F336-C9-DC-4054-B64-D-3915-A6-ABC0

Sam records does it again! What a sound and what a record! I already was a big fan of Nathan Davis but George Arvanitas strikes me also as a great musician! I like his playing. 

That's good to hear. Mine's on order with a UK source, hopefully turns up soon. Very pleased that they repressed.

Also, you have lots of lovely spare room to fill on those shelves....

Edited by mjazzg

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Very spiritual if you read the sleeve notes, inspired by his faith which I think is transmitted in the music. Many might call it "Spiritual" because of the label it's on, I won't.

I'm looking forward to the materialist jazz scene of the 1980s getting rediscovered. Someone on Columbia get Gilles Peterson on the phone.

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's all about the enormous and prominently displayed watch.

I hadn't spotted that but I definitely remember everyone was suddenly wearing suits to perform - Steve Williamson, Courtney Pine, Jason Rebello, Tommy Smith etc etc. it was like they'd all discovered Moss Bros overnight. And what was Wynton always seen wearing?  It's all his fault yet again

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I can't wait for the press releases:

"Essential ultra-available materialist jazz classic from the heart of the 1980s mainstream, finally remastered for the 40th time on 360 gram coloured shiny gold vinyl".

"Free limited edition ostentatious watch with first 10,000 copies"

meanwhile

R-3919419-1349230225-3327.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Hey! it's [Argo, 1960 mono]

suit, no watch

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

It's solo. Uses the full range of the bass, some extended techniques but fundamentally melodic, lots of space.  Very spiritual if you read the sleeve notes, inspired by his faith which I think is transmitted in the music. Many might call it "Spiritual" because of the label it's on, I won't.

This was my first listen and I'm pleased I bought it. I think it will get many more outings

Now I'm on another new arrival

R-2838486-1611825011-2585.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Williams - Life Time [Blue Note, Liberty 1971]

sounds great, what a band

That's good to hear. Mine's on order with a UK source, hopefully turns up soon. Very pleased that they repressed.

Also, you have lots of lovely spare room to fill on those shelves....

I’ve heard that only 200 copies were pressed due to problems at the plant. The rest will come out in November. Hope you’ll get one from the first batch!

about that space on the shelves: I see it as my duty to fill them with great jazz records as soon as possible. 

On 9/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I'm looking forward to the materialist jazz scene of the 1980s getting rediscovered. Someone on Columbia get Gilles Peterson on the phone.

:D 

Hilarious.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, mjazzg said:

The way that term is used bothers me too.  

22 hours ago, Pim said:

about that space on the shelves: I see it as my duty to fill them with great jazz records as soon as possible. 

I think a great many of us have felt the same with regards to our own shelves !  ;)

R-19526824-1629474980-8123.jpeg.jpg

First run through,  onto LP2 side 1. Maupin on bass clarinet is almost worth the entry price alone.

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

The way that term is used bothers me too.  

It's become so ubiquitous to be meaningless now I think

Edited by mjazzg

R-3835869-1346294124-6419.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Comin' on Strong (Argo, 1964)

The best cut on this LP might be Moody's take on Sonny Rollins' "Sonnymoon for Two."  Moody doesn't sound anything like Sonny, but one thing the two men have in common is their profound rhythmic sense.  Seems like EVERYTHING they play is danceable.

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

R-2122499-1328168147.jpeg.jpg

It's always fun to hear singers backed by Count Basie's big band. :) 

From the singer's point of view, it must've been like cruising down the road in a brand-new Cadillac. "New elegance, new excellence, new excitement!"

66-Cadillac-Ad.jpg

The Tony Bennett record with Basie is great. (There's probably more than one, but I only own one.)  

16 minutes ago, medjuck said:

The Tony Bennett record with Basie is great. (There's probably more than one, but I only own one.)  

There are two - one on Roulette and one on Columbia.   Because Basie was signed to Roulette and Tony to Columbia, the labels worked out a reciprocal deal for two records, one on each label.  Both great.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I know and love the Roulette record with Basie & Bennett.

... I'm not familiar with the Columbia LP.  I should rectify that!

What's the other one, Jim?

The one I owe is the Columbia.  Worth getting for Lost in the Stars alone.