Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

My guess would be some kind of SF/Bay Area connection.

yeah, per: https://www.bluenote.com/artist/julian-priester/

Priester worked with Duke Ellington for six months during 1969-70, and shortly thereafter accepted his highest-profile gig with Herbie Hancock’s Headhunters-era fusion band. Upon his departure in 1973, Priester moved to San Francisco and recorded two dates for ECM, 1974’s Love, Love and 1977’s Polarization.

I think they mean Mwandishi, but otherwise, it's a fit.

Thanks. Appears from Stalling's Discogs entry to have been a one-off on the Jazz front. He certainly didn't fool around and fall in love with it...

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1211315-1512319811-4132.jpeg.jpg

Julian Priester And Marine Intrusion - Polarization [ECM, Germany 1977]

Revisiting this and I was prompted, maybe for the first time, to check who was playing saxophone - Ron Stallings, now I need to find out more about him.  So how did someone more used to playing with Elvin Bishop, Southern Comfort and later Huey Lewis get this gig I wonder?

I wonder how Priester is doing these days? Both medically and financially, he's had it rough these past 20 or so years, from having no retirement funds, to requiring expensive medication due to his liver transplant, which caused kidney failure & dialysis and his wife dying unexpectedly last May.

52 minutes ago, bresna said:

I wonder how Priester is doing these days? Both medically and financially, he's had it rough these past 20 or so years, from having no retirement funds, to requiring expensive medication due to his liver transplant, which caused kidney failure & dialysis and his wife dying unexpectedly last May.

Yeah, hope he's OK.  The two ECM albums I listened to yesterday are both excellent.

Now playing

R-13789487-1561216158-7245.jpeg.jpg

Masada - Sanhedrin, 1994-1997 [Tzadik, 2019]

I thought Masada were one of the most exciting bands at the time.  This is reminding me why having not listened to them since my almost complete CD collection of their recordings went AWOL.

Edited by mjazzg

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yeah, hope he's OK.  The two ECM albums I listened to yesterday are both excellent.

Now playing

R-13789487-1561216158-7245.jpeg.jpg

Masada - Sanhedrin, 1994-1997 [Tzadik, 2019]

I thought Masada were one of the most exciting bands at the time.  This is reminding me why having not listened to them since my almost complete CD collection of their recordings went AWOL.

I think they had a sweet spot, but sort of overdid it after this period. I never understood the regard that Electric Masada or the various books of compositions Zorn did are held in some other corners of the internet.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the Masada CDs. 

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think they had a sweet spot, but sort of overdid it after this period. I never understood the regard that Electric Masada or the various books of compositions Zorn did are held in some other corners of the internet.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the Masada CDs. 

Well they certainly ploughed the furrow for all its worth but I never quite got overwhelmed. But I also really like Electric Masada.

Relationship breakdown - all the Masada CDs and just one John Surman CD somehow went missing in the general smoke and fire - always thought since it was an odd combination...not as if my ex actually enjoyed hearing them. Maybe they were the fire :D

Now spinning:

R-1292242-1363030461-1583.jpeg.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shouts (Blue Note, rel. 1978)
Side 3 & 4 - with Tommy Turrentine, Kenny Burrell, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren, and Al Harewood

Subsequently issued on CD as Jubilee Shout!!!  (minus the LP's final "s" on Shouts; plus 3 exclamation points). 

One of Mr. T's finest BN sessions, I think. 

43 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-1292242-1363030461-1583.jpeg.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shouts (Blue Note, rel. 1978)
Side 3 & 4 - with Tommy Turrentine, Kenny Burrell, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren, and Al Harewood

Subsequently issued on CD as Jubilee Shout!!!  (minus the LP's final "s" on Shouts; plus 3 exclamation points). 

One of Mr. T's finest BN sessions, I think. 

The CD was issued as "Jubilee Shout!!!" because it had been given a catalog number (84122) and had album art made up back in 1963 but for some reason, it didn't get released until 1978 on this two-fer. I guess Cuscuna figured that he'd use the original title when he finally got the chance. :)

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

The CD was issued as "Jubilee Shout!!!" because it had been given a catalog number (84122) and had album art made up back in 1963 but for some reason, it didn't get released until 1978 on this two-fer. I guess Cuscuna figured that he'd use the original title when he finally got the chance. :)

That makes sense. :tup 

NP:

R-5130468-1492948889-9466.jpeg.jpg

The Dynamic Hampton Hawes (MPS Netherlands, rec. 1967)
with Eberhard Weber (b) and Klaus Weiss (d)

Superb.  One of Hawes' best.   

Just now, HutchFan said:

Next up:

R-9100090-1474859721-6863.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Great Day (Argo/Cadet, 1963)
Arranged & Conducted by Tom McIntosh

Beautiful, soulful music.  Exquisitely arranged but also loose as a goose. 

Ooh, sounds like another I'll have to track down...stop it with the Moodys!! :D

More Hampton Hawes:

R-3196060-1553632208-8028.jpeg.jpg

Here and Now (Contemporary/OJC, 1966)
with Chuck Israels and Donald Bailey

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Oddly not many copies for sale over here unlike other titles I splurged on last month.

Bummer.  ... Keep an eye out for it.  Definitely worth searching for. :tup

53 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

More Hampton Hawes:

R-3196060-1553632208-8028.jpeg.jpg

Here and Now (Contemporary/OJC, 1966)
with Chuck Israels and Donald Bailey

Bummer.  ... Keep an eye out for it.  Definitely worth searching for. :tup

Good one. If that's the album with "Dear Heart," I used to listen that track obsessively, mostly because Hawes played it in a soulfully obsessive manner.

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Iajrc 20 - Stars Of Modern Jazz - rec. 1949

[IMG]

[IMG]

Very fine bop session. I think it was always quite hard to find. Bird also played a complete set on that date I think. It was issued on another label. The strange thing is I first had it on a Musidisc album, something called "Bird-Broadcasts"....

8 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Very fine bop session. I think it was always quite hard to find. Bird also played a complete set on that date I think. It was issued on another label. The strange thing is I first had it on a Musidisc album, something called "Bird-Broadcasts"....

This is one includes Bird's set.

R-8739842-1468655725-7120.jpeg.jpg