Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What are some good Rushing records without the Count?

10 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I've always liked Rushing Lullabies.  The You and Me We Used to Be-- the very last record he did-- is  very good.  

I second medjuck's vote for Rushing Lullabies.  I'd recommend getting the CD edition of Rushing Lullabies because it's a 2-LPs-on-one-CD reissue that also includes Little Jimmy Rushing and the Big Brass

That said, Rushing never really made an indifferent record.  IMO, you can hardly go wrong with any of it.  The Vanguard and Colpix stuff is excellent.  That Jazz Odyssey LP above is really good.  Even Rushing's record with Dave Brubeck -- though it looks like an odd match -- works wonderfully.  

Edited by HutchFan

Kippie Moketsi and  Hal Singer ‎– Blue Stompin' (2021 RE)

IMG_6836_1024x1024.jpg?v=1631758771

One more for the road, great vibe all along,  similar to Allen Kwela's Black Beauty (I would loooooooooove to have a copy of this LP and hopefully Matsuli will reissue it at some stage). The trumpet player is nowhere to be listed. Any lead?

Edited by aparxa

9 hours ago, aparxa said:

Kippie Moketsi and  Hal Singer ‎– Blue Stompin' (2021 RE)

IMG_6836_1024x1024.jpg?v=1631758771

One more for the road, great vibe all along,  similar to Allen Kwela's Black Beauty (I would loooooooooove to have a copy of this LP and hopefully Matsuli will reissue it at some stage). The trumpet player is nowhere to be listed. Any lead?

Well done for owning this one at least. I'm always impressed by this stuff.

On 19.10.2021 at 0:12 AM, aparxa said:

Yes, a wonderful set, I just finished it. Along with

20210624_081939_540x.jpg?v=1624508864

Ca%27Purange.jpg

Capurange and Tangerine are my favourite Prestige albums of Gordon from that period in the early 70´s. It was somehow a strange time, acoustic jazz like that was disappearing for quite some years, I always thought the great era of Prestige was the 50´s. 

New arrival no.2

R-16104193-1603528713-2951.jpeg.jpg

Kahil El'Zabar - America The Beautiful [Spiritmuse Records, 2020]

I'm not sure El'Zabar gets the notice of other AACM and Chicago musicians but this just drips that Chicago sound and is a lovely album. If 'How Can We Mend A broken Heart' isn't a tribute, subliminal or intentional, to Lester Bowie then I'm deaf.

Edited by mjazzg

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Some nice new purchases.

Yes, pleased so far. Now onto this

R-15430815-1591422160-7159.jpeg.jpg

Kahil El'Zabar - Spirit House [Spiritmuse, 2020]

I saw El'Zabar and David Murray, who features on this, play a fantastic duet in the then newly opened Jazz Café. No licence, so only coffee, and only temporary heating but they raised the temperature. So this is a nostalgia purchase as much as anything.

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, pleased so far. Now onto this

R-15430815-1591422160-7159.jpeg.jpg

Kahil El'Zabar - Spirit House [Spiritmuse, 2020]

I saw El'Zabar and David Murray, who features on this, play a fantastic duet in the then newly opened Jazz Café. No licence, so only coffee, and only temporary heating but they raised the temperature. So this is a nostalgia purchase as much as anything.

This again