Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

One of Tyner's finest, IMO.  I love how Hutcherson's lyrical playing contrasts with McCoy's surging, volcanic eruptions.  Heaven and Earth.  ;) 

Yes, fine album. The version I was listening to was on a French Milestone double but I also have the original. Very powerful sax front line once they get going too, with Stubblefield and Azar Lawrence.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-8743093-1467807194-6816.jpeg.jpg

Dick Morrissey Quartet - Storm warning! [Norma, Japan 1993]

It would be interesting to see if Decca do a nice reissue of that one in their ‘Explosion’ series. All gone very quiet with that - maybe they are holding off until next year for more (hopefully).

Norma is a strange name for a label. Sponsored by she of ‘more peas dear’ perhaps?.:lol:

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It would be interesting to see if Decca do a nice reissue of that one in their ‘Explosion’ series. All gone very quiet with that - maybe they are holding off until next year for more (hopefully).

Norma is a strange name for a label. Sponsored by she of ‘more peas dear’ perhaps?.:lol:

The next batch are due next year according to a Twitter response I got from Tony Higgins. He wasn't letting on which titles though.

Norma sounds very nice, peas or no peas...

Edited by mjazzg

On 27/10/2021 at 6:38 PM, mjazzg said:

R-20728903-1635188595-9217.jpeg.jpg

Mankunku Quartet - Yakhal' Inkomo [World Record Co./Mr Bongo, UK 2021 Repress]

So great! 

Alfa Mist - Bring Backs
Yusef Lateef And Doug Watkins - Imagination! (aka Soulnik)
Lloyd McNeill - Tori
yusef-lateef-doug-watkins-imagination-fr

Edited by aparxa

8 hours ago, porcy62 said:

:lol:

I haven´t heard about that TV show, but when I saw the photo I thought it is Chet Baker. 

By the way: West Coast is not really present in my collection. 

I started listening to Chet when he had his comeback, and love what he did in those years from the 70´s until his death, which is really deep and moving. 

The strange thing is that the first Mulligan-Baker I heard was on the Carnegie Hall 1974 set, which I heard at a club and had no idea who is playing, but recognized the great bass of one of my favourites Ron Carter. 

Bob Brookmeyer on the other hand......., my only listening experience was that disappointing Mel Lewis Big Band where he had composed and arranged after Thad Jones had left. I had heard the original Thad Jones - Mel Lewis BB and loved it, but Brookmeyers contribution ......well maybe I´m too dumb to dig it, but I just didn´t like it, and there were a lot of guys who were at that festival and all who I knew said the same thing, maybe we all were into another direction....

39 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Bob Brookmeyer on the other hand......., my only listening experience was that disappointing Mel Lewis Big Band where he had composed and arranged after Thad Jones had left. I had heard the original Thad Jones - Mel Lewis BB and loved it, but Brookmeyers contribution ......well maybe I´m too dumb to dig it, but I just didn´t like it, and there were a lot of guys who were at that festival and all who I knew said the same thing, maybe we all were into another direction....

That is quite astonishing for me. I am a fan of the original TH-ML orchestra   (have a series of 21 CD's with unissued  concert material, many from Munich)  as well as a big fan of Bob Brookmeyer and have most of his records + unissued material.

But we have to ad mit that tastes are different.