Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've never even seen that before, had no idea that it existed.

Good stuff?

It’s in Garrick’s ‘Liturgical’ style - influenced by English medieval/choral/church music. Totally unique. In the same vein as ‘Jazz Praises at St Pauls’. The music was reissued by Vocalion on CD on one of the Garrick releases.

I think his experiments in this area even preceded Duke Ellington - the ‘Sacred Concerts’ would be a US equivalent but this is much more English. 

The Argo EP was produced in tiny numbers I think.

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It’s in Garrick’s ‘Liturgical’ style - influenced by English medieval/choral/church music. Totally unique. In the same vein as ‘Jazz Praises at St Pauls’. The music was reissued by Vocalion on CD on one of the Garrick releases.

I think his experiments in this area even preceded Duke Ellington - the ‘Sacred Concerts’ would be a US equivalent but this is much more English. 

The Argo EP was produced in tiny numbers I think.

Oh, I missed that one. I thought I'd seen all of Vocalion's Garrick reissues. Apparently not.  ;)

Interesting point about Garrick's "sacred jazz" preceding EKE's. ... I wonder if Duke was aware of what Garrick was doing in that area, if it possibly influenced his thinking.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh, I missed that one. I thought I'd seen all of Vocalion's Garrick reissues. Apparently not.  ;)

Interesting point about Garrick's "sacred jazz" preceding EKE's. ... I wonder if Duke was aware of what Garrick was doing in that area, if it possibly influenced his thinking.

Doubt that there was any influence on Duke but that is an interesting thought. Mary Lou Williams also operating in this area at that time.

The ‘Anthem’ tracks are on Dutton Vocalion’s reissue of the ‘October Woman’ LP. To be honest I think the CD sounds better as unlike most old EPs, there is no snap crackle pop. Vocalion had access to the master tape I think.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The_Yokohama_Concert.jpg

Good to remind myself of just how damn brilliant this one is. This was one very happy and compatible front line.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Doubt that there was any influence on Duke but that is an interesting thought. Mary Lou Williams also operating in this area at that time.

You're right.  Forgot about Mary Lou!  Since they were friends, her influence on EKE would've been much more likely.

Now on my 'table:

R-3785043-1389534734-1064.jpeg.jpg

Gato Barbieri - Caliente! (A&M, 1976)
The A&Ms aren't my favorite Gato records -- but they're enjoyable.  Barbieri & Alpert definitely achieved what they set out to do. 

EDIT:
I'd forgotten how much this sounds like a CTI record. Alpert & Gato definitely "borrowed" Creed Taylor's production approach.

Edited by HutchFan

I used to have a Prestige blue label of this album, many years ago. I wasn't that into it and purged it without a second thought. Now, Eastern Sounds is one of the most desirable jazz albums among a certain set of collectors. I haven't listened to it in decades but part of me would not mind having that old copy just to cash in!