• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2022-01-01 at 6:03 PM, Brad said:

i-nMK4VcH-L.jpg

Oh, I like this one and should play it soon. There's a melancholic feel to this album which I find to be very moving. 

Have been looking for Multidirection on vinyl for years, but still no luck (copies on Discogs are so expensive). 

On 2021-12-31 at 3:46 PM, HutchFan said:

Daniel,

I like Sharing very much.  It's nothing earth-shattering, but it is lovely -- a bit like Kloss' duo LP with Barry Miles a few years earlier, Together (Muse, 1976). 

Neither of these duo records are anything like his earlier Prestige dates.  They're very gentle and reflective.  Not nearly as "jazzy."  

Here's a taste:

Thanks! I should seek this one out. 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Oh, I like this one and should play it soon. There's a melancholic feel to this album which I find to be very moving. 

Have been looking for Multidirection on vinyl for years, but still no luck (copies on Discogs are so expensive). 

This album was a revelation for me. In his book Mark Stryker has a chapter about them and the Strata label (that Cox and the group’s trumpet player Charles Moore formed). 

Clare Fischer 'Extension', mono pressing. In all honesty, this session sounds better on the excellent CD reissue produced by Jonathan Horwich  some ten years ago. To me, this is the most interesting recording from Fischer's Pacific Jazz years. There's a lot to discover from repeated listening.

R-3483181-1633507026-8516.jpeg.jpg

51 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

R-7594023-1444752946-5425.jpeg.jpg

King

I understand that the picture does not show your copy, but do you keep the OBI strips on? I hide them inside as I want to see the real cover pictures.

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I understand that the picture does not show your copy, but do you keep the OBI strips on? I hide them inside as I want to see the real cover pictures.

OBI strip is in the left with the whole thing in a PVC sleeve, so the photo looks pretty well like my copy. Nice LP !

I need to get that ‘Extension’ CD.

R-2095567-1263738991.jpeg.jpg

East Wind

Edited by sidewinder

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

OBI strip is in the left with the whole thing in a PVC sleeve, so the photo looks pretty well like my copy. Nice LP !

I need to get that ‘Extension’ CD.

I see that the CD is available at fair prices on Discogs.

In past years, I have not been consistent, but I am in the process of putting all my LPs in archival quality polyethene sleeves. I have not had any bad luck, but a neighbor got thousands of new (still smelly) PVC sleeves for his collection, and discovered several damaged ("milky" looking) records after just one year, so I am throwing out remaining PVC sleeves now. Only anectodal evidence of course, but maybe it's worse if the sleeves are brand new?

Now playing Lalo Schifrin's 'New Fantasy', US stereo pressing.

R-4615324-1384765085-2949.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Clare Fischer 'Extension', mono pressing. In all honesty, this session sounds better on the excellent CD reissue produced by Jonathan Horwich  some ten years ago. To me, this is the most interesting recording from Fischer's Pacific Jazz years. There's a lot to discover from repeated listening.

R-3483181-1633507026-8516.jpeg.jpg

:tup

11 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I see that the CD is available at fair prices on Discogs.

In past years, I have not been consistent, but I am in the process of putting all my LPs in archival quality polyethene sleeves. I have not had any bad luck, but a neighbor got thousands of new (still smelly) PVC sleeves for his collection, and discovered several damaged ("milky" looking) records after just one year, so I am throwing out remaining PVC sleeves now. Only anectodal evidence of course, but maybe it's worse if the sleeves are brand new?

I still use the PVC covers - both soft and hard types. So far no issues, touch wood - although I avoid any exposure to higher temperatures and direct sunlight.

Edited by sidewinder

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

In past years, I have not been consistent, but I am in the process of putting all my LPs in archival quality polyethene sleeves. I have not had any bad luck, but a neighbor got thousands of new (still smelly) PVC sleeves for his collection, and discovered several damaged ("milky" looking) records after just one year, so I am throwing out remaining PVC sleeves now. Only anecdotal evidence of course, but maybe it's worse if the sleeves are brand new?

A few years back, I started running out of shelf space in my LP racks and I noticed that if I pulled a few records out of their PVC sleeves, I could fit another record onto that shelf. I started pulling all of my records out of their sleeves and picked up enough space for about 30 more LPs. I now only l use sleeves on my most valuable records and there aren't many of those.

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

An interesting (and worrying) experience ... Particularly if the risk is higher with brand-new sleeves? I am not quite sure which of my clear plastic record sleeves (which i only use for originals or very early pressings of LPs) are PVC or polythene because I usually reuse used ones that end up with me. Mostly PVC I guess ... But I have recently had one observation that had me baffled. About 10 years ago or so I bought an original European pressing of the Maynard Ferguson "Message From Newport" LP (pressing on Danish Sonet) and, the record being an original, filed it in a (used) clear plastic sleeve with the record inside the jacket, as usual. A couple of weeks ago I pulled it out for the first time in years and horror - both sides of the record were spotted with pimples and blobs and splotches and the remaining area had wavy streaks across larger parts of the surface. That LP had been "priced to sell" and as far as I can remember very likely had quite a few pimples and blobs in the surface (something I have observed with several late 50s/early 60s Sonet EPs through the years - the worst Crown LPs have better-looking surfaces than these ...) but it really cannot have been that bad when I bought and first played it. With the wavy streaks on the surface it now looks as if the vinyl consists of several layers that are slowly coming apart ... (Strangely enough the record does play through and there are virtually no skips, but with an underlying rumble and grumble underneath the music listening is more than bizarre, not to mention the strain this must place on the styles ... I have obtained a clean 70s reissue of the record since). I really am wondering if the plastic record sleeve is part of the cause?