• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-6685415-1454943844-4608.jpeg.jpg

When was it recorded ? Great groop really. 
Ford and Walrath were in the Mingus Band when I saw it. 

On 31.12.2021 at 6:39 PM, sidewinder said:

R-1453647-1489334513-7275.jpeg.jpg

Reissue of both volumes of the ‘Memorial Album’. Great stuff.

is this the sessions from 1949-53 ? 

I have it on 2 CDs but on the 1949 it´s a bit annoying that threre are so many alternate tracks of each tune. The 1951 session with Art Farmer is fine, but also the 1953 stuff with Teddy Charles is very fine. 
I like Wardell Gray´s lines. 

But the best Wardell Gray I ever heard was as a sideman on "The Happy Bird" in Boston. His solos on "Scrapple from the Apple" and I think "I May be Wrong" are highlights. 

Herunterladen (2).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

is this the sessions from 1949-53 ? 

I have it on 2 CDs but on the 1949 it´s a bit annoying that threre are so many alternate tracks of each tune. The 1951 session with Art Farmer is fine, but also the 1953 stuff with Teddy Charles is very fine. 
I like Wardell Gray´s lines. 

Yes, it is the 49-53 tracks. The ‘49 tracks have nonagenarian Roy Haynes on them !

Agree that Wardell could really put solos together -hugely underrated (and I think Clark Terry commented similarly). He also extends his range into that of the baritone at times, to great effect on the Charles material.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When was it recorded ? Great groop really. 
Ford and Walrath were in the Mingus Band when I saw it. 

Gheorghe,

That Ricky Ford recording was made in 1981.  It's good stuff.  Nothing mind-blowing.  But solid.

Walrath is only on one cut.  I think it would've been a more interesting LP if he'd played on more.

Music From The Motion Picture Juno (Rhino). Orange transparent vinyl. I think I bought this because my daughters liked the movie but I don't remember playing it much. Pulled it off the shelf this morning and figured "What the heck". Some "spoken word" type singing that reminds me of Laurie Anderson's work. I can't believe that this LP is currently selling for over $50. I guess vinyl is hot right now.

R-1248296-1441406254-1860.jpeg.jpg R-1248296-1586498885-2731.jpeg.jpg

Here's a song from this LP. Almost sounds like a kid's singalong at times. :)

Edited by bresna

On 1/5/2022 at 9:59 AM, bresna said:

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin' (Blue Note/Vinyl Me Please). I bought this for the cool-looking vinyl. The music is just so-so in my book.

R-15629721-1603999971-6809.jpeg.jpg

I never understood this fascination that VMP, as well as other companies, have for colored vinyl. 

15 hours ago, Brad said:

I never understood this fascination that VMP, as well as other companies, have for colored vinyl. 

I do agree to a certain point but I thought that this one was particularly cool. As I said, the music isn't all that great to my ears and I wasn't planning to buy it on vinyl at all but this pressing caught my eye, so why not?

Besides, if I ever decide that I don't need this in my collection, I will not lose money on it. No matter the reason, many of these VMP pressings are getting crazy money on the secondary market.