What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's like Black Sabbath or something. Happy chewing.

Thanks. I did plenty of Black Sabbath in my youth

23 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

R-9753006-1485813093-1869.jpeg.jpg

johnny_hartman-sittin_in_with-02.jpg

I had no idea that existed. I see from Discogs that there's only two Hill tracks, are they solo?  How's the sound on it?

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a wonky record with a different actual track listing on the record than on the sleeve. More here from Hartman than listed there. Hill's trio backs Johnny and the two Hill numbers without Johnny are trio. 

It's interesting. . . you can hear the roots of the Blue Note Hill here. . . but he's not playing in that manner overall. Sound is okay. Not great--not bad--mono.

Right now

a.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie Jam Montreux '77, Pablo LP

Bags! He makes the record for me.

Edited by jazzbo

33 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

It's a wonky record with a different actual track listing on the record than on the sleeve. More here from Hartman than listed there. Hill's trio backs Johnny and the two Hill numbers without Johnny are trio. 

It's interesting. . . you can hear the roots of the Blue Note Hill here. . . but he's not playing in that manner overall. Sound is okay. Not great--not bad--mono.

Thanks for the lowdown, sounds intriguing

ZWc.jpeg

Larry Young - The Complete Blue Note Recordings [Mosaic, 1991]

LP.1 'Talkin' About'

4 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I don't know the music, but I like the cover. Well done by the designer. It has a 1970s, independant jazz label quality.

Credit where credit's due in that case, to Jaime Zuvera. According to the cover.  The label has quite a strong design aesthetic so maybe he does others for them too

Edited by mjazzg

I am listening to the Sonny Clark / Kenny Dorham sides of the Jackie McLean "Hipnosis" two-fer.

Sonny Clark interpolates a phrase from Carmen into his solo, something I have heard him do on many of his recordings; well, at least enough of them for me to have noticed it before. I'm pretty sure he uses it as the opening phrase of a chorus of blues.

I had actually forgotten about this until listening tonight, and there it was, in "Blues In A Jiff" I laughed out loud when I heard it, a bit like the Leonardo DiCaprio meme where he points at the TV.

Do any of the historians / musicians know anything about this? Is it significant or just a lick that he liked? It feels like he plays it for fun.

Anyway, excuse the ramblings. 

Edited by rdavenport

14 minutes ago, bresna said:

Curtis Amy - Katanga! (Blue Note). The new Tone Poet version. Maybe I'm having a bad day, but I don't think this sounds any better than the CD versions (Connoisseur CD & Mosaic Select CD) I already have. I'm kinda wishing I'd saved my money for something else.

R-19010062-1622859082-2287.jpeg.jpg

Interesting - yet the Hoffman Board is raving about it !  I’ve passed on that one as I have a Pacific Jazz original and the Conn CD, bases covered and more than happy with these. As I recall, the Conn CD sounds pretty good. Isn’t it also on the Amy Select? - need to check.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is the Pat Martino for me. It's so heavy.

Totally agree.  So dark, almost "evil" -- like Bitches Brew.

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's like Black Sabbath or something. Happy chewing.

Hadn't seen your quote, Rab, when I described it as "evil."  Obviously, we're hearing it similarly. ;) 

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - yet the Hoffman Board is raving about it !  I’ve passed on that one as I have a Pacific Jazz original and the Conn CD, bases covered and more than happy with these. As I recall, the Conn CD sounds pretty good. Isn’t it also on the Amy Select? - need to check.

Those raves over there are why I bought it. I should have held off. Truth be told, I only bought it because Udiscovermusic.com had a 40% sale late last year. I ended up getting it for around $20. I wasn't even expecting to get it at all because that website's hit rate has been abysmal.

Now playing... Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly (Blue Note). I have the LT LP, not that overpriced LP from the fishing box with the scarf.

R-2893042-1353016239-3438.jpeg.jpg

I can't believe what these LT LPs are going for these days.

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Totally agree.  So dark, almost "evil" -- like Bitches Brew.

Hadn't seen your quote, Rab, when I described it as "evil."  Obviously, we're hearing it similarly. ;) 

Evil Bitches Brew is a better description than mine.

I file my jazz collection into "nice or Latin" and "evil" sections. Evil being anything that would ruin a dinner party conclusively (e.g. Brotzmann).

Gerry Mulligan - LP2 of The Emarcy Sextet Recordings (Mosaic). This LP was originally released as "Mainstream of Jazz" (Emarcy MG 36101). I haven't spin this much since I bought it many years ago. I pretty much bought this by accident as the LP I thought was included here, "Butterfly With Hiccups" (actually on Limelight), was nowhere to be seen. Good accident on my part. :)

Gerry Mulligan The Emarcy Sextet Recordings Numbered, Limited Edition 180g  5LP Box Set

Edited to put in a much better image of the "cover" (man, were these LP set covers boring).

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Those raves over there are why I bought it. I should have held off. Truth be told, I only bought it because Udiscovermusic.com had a 40% sale late last year. I ended up getting it for around $20. I wasn't even expecting to get it at all because that website's hit rate has been abysmal.

Now playing... Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly (Blue Note). I have the LT LP, not that overpriced LP from the fishing box with the scarf.

What fishing box? 

Yes, the Blue Notes are crazy now, even the 1970s-1980s represses. Damn kids. I remember buying the LT series not long ago at all, for $10 and even less. 

Freddie Hubbard - STRAIGHT LIFE,  wafer-thin LP, great sound. 

R-13897201-1563657630-6189.jpeg.jpg

16 hours ago, bresna said:

16 hours ago, bresna said:

Gerry Mulligan - LP2 of The Emarcy Sextet Recordings (Mosaic). This LP was originally released as "Mainstream of Jazz" (Emarcy MG 36101). I haven't spin this much since I bought it many years ago. I pretty much bought this by accident as the LP I thought was included here, "Butterfly With Hiccups" (actually on Limelight), was nowhere to be seen. Good accident on my part. :)

Gerry Mulligan The Emarcy Sextet Recordings Numbered, Limited Edition 180g  5LP Box Set

Edited to put in a much better image of the "cover" (man, were these LP set covers boring).

Here are the single covers (also posted in the "Miscelaneous Music above)

42835980bg.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
double picture

19 hours ago, bresna said:

I looked for a King Pressing of this at decent price for ages...

Dick Johnson and Dave McKenna, Spider's Blues (Concord)

Sonny Stitt, Come Hither (Solid State)

Image result for dick johnson dave mckenna spider concordKen Wheeler.John Dankforth Orchestra, Image result for Sonny Stitt come hitherWindmill Tilting (Fontana)Image result for Ken Wheeler windmill tilting

I was not familiar with Dick Johnson, a swing band veteran. He is excellent.

I enjoy Sonny Stitt on varitone, but with a couple of tracks that are exceptions this is not one of the good ones.

Windmill Tilting, ordered on Amazon, just arrived from Spain.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

This is a discovery for me. Every day brings new joys!

Bobby Jones - THE ARRIVAL OF BOBBY JONES

R-3283566-1352144628-4587.jpeg.jpg

If you're enjoying that LP, you might want to check out Jones' next album, Hill Country Suite (Enja, 1974).  I think it's even better. ;) 

11 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Windmill Tilting (Fontana)Image result for Ken Wheeler windmill tilting

Windmill Tilting, ordered on Amazon, just arrived from Spain.

I've been thinking about ordering that LP too.  But I've hesitated b/c the price is steep.  How's the audio quality?

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've been thinking about ordering that LP too.  But I've hesitated b/c the price is steep.  How's the audio quality?

I justified the price to myself by using Amex points. It is an impeccable pressing with very fine sound.

Edited by kh1958