• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 17/01/2022 at 6:13 PM, mjazzg said:

R-1114414-1555604338-6640.jpeg.jpg

David Murray trio - The Hill [Black Saint, Italy 1988]

a post by @ghost of mileselsewhere reminded me about this LP.  Murray was one of my entry points to Jazz and I hoovered up the the Black Saints. This takes me back.

I recall vacuuming up Murray and other Soul Note/Black Saint LPs for £2 from Fopp. These introduced me to the likes of Roscoe Mitchell, Frank Lowe etc

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks I'll see if I can find that streaming somewhere. Did she do any other dates that went a bit out like the Peacock one do you know?

There are two cuts from the Lewis/Merrill LP that you can stream on my 70s jazz blog: https://jazzinthe70s.blogspot.com/2020/07/john-lewis-helen-merill-john-lewis.html

I'm not aware of any other Merrill albums like that date with Peacock.  But I don't know her discography comprehensively.

Just listening through some recent purchases from Japan.

Zw.jpeg

King pressing, though it has VAN GELDER stamp in the runout, so presumably they did use stampers from the US.

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't say that The Singers Unlimited never sounded better than here, as this is the first or second album they did, but that's how it feels to me. A bit unusual to find an MPS album reissued on the Columbia imprint. I have also a German pressing, but wanted a spare copy as I am not happy with the remastering of this album on the "Magic Voices" 7 CD box. 

ZWc.jpeg

This one has some good early Cedar Walton. And I always like Jaspar.

Edited by Daniel A

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Just listening through some recent purchases from Japan.

Zw.jpeg

King pressing, though it has VAN GELDER stamp in the runout, so presumably they did use stampers from the US.

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't say that The Singers Unlimited never sounded better than here, as this is the first or second album they did, but that's how it feels to me. A bit unusual to find an MPS album reissued on the Columbia imprint. I have also a German pressing, but wanted a spare copy as I am not happy with the remastering of this album on the "Magic Voices" 7 CD box. 

ZWc.jpeg

This one has some good early Cedar Walton. And I always like Jaspar.

I picked up many of the Singers Unlimited albums on CD at a library sale. They sound great, big improvement over the LPs, many of which I had. One performance that I can't get out my head is "The More I See You," the ending especially.

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

A lot of fun, that one. I don't think I've heard a record by them that I haven't liked.

That's good to hear. I only have this and two with Satoh, 'Canto Of Aries' and one I can't recall its title.  I'm a bit wary of a MOR tendency that I have no evidence to support. Any pointers for others?

Now onto this recent discovery. Some Billy Harper I didn't know about. One of the weirdest band names ever

ZWc.jpeg

New York Saxophone Madness - Danjiri [CAC, Japan 1985]