Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Must have seen David Williams at least 10 times with Cedar Walton - and most of those with Billy Higgins !

Now up - 

R-8861589-1470308735-9066.jpeg.jpg

Stereo green label deep groove.

I think around the late 70´s there was a recently recorded album of them and it was titled something like "Young at Heart" , which I didn´t purchase then. But in the "bop category" of my listening preferences" there is a lot of good McGhee from the late 40´s and I really heard that most of all boppers you could here the roots of Roy Eldridge. And his playing on those legendary Latin Session with Machito is some of the very best trumpet of that time. 

Otherwise I don´t know almost nothing about his later activities. He might have had a short comeback in the mid 60´s since I have a nice little Sonny Stitt album on Black Lion, titled "Night Work", and I saw him on a video of a Charlie Parker memorial concert with J.J, Johnson, Sonny Stitt, Walter Bishop, Tommy Potter and Klook. 

But nothing from later. I heard he died in the 80´s and that his son Boots has or had a homepage on which he showed some rare photos of his famous father.

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Must have seen David Williams at least 10 times with Cedar Walton - and most of those with Billy Higgins !

Now up - 

R-8861589-1470308735-9066.jpeg.jpg

Stereo green label deep groove.

Like! :tup:D

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think around the late 70´s there was a recently recorded album of them and it was titled something like "Young at Heart" , which I didn´t purchase then. But in the "bop category" of my listening preferences" there is a lot of good McGhee from the late 40´s and I really heard that most of all boppers you could here the roots of Roy Eldridge. And his playing on those legendary Latin Session with Machito is some of the very best trumpet of that time. 

Otherwise I don´t know almost nothing about his later activities. He might have had a short comeback in the mid 60´s since I have a nice little Sonny Stitt album on Black Lion, titled "Night Work", and I saw him on a video of a Charlie Parker memorial concert with J.J, Johnson, Sonny Stitt, Walter Bishop, Tommy Potter and Klook. 

But nothing from later. I heard he died in the 80´s and that his son Boots has or had a homepage on which he showed some rare photos of his famous father.

JFYI Lords Discography lists some albums rec. in the late 1970ies

- Young at heart" on danish Storyville

- "Home run" on dan. Jazzcraft & Storyville

- "Live at Emersons" with Wess & Rouse on Zim label

- " Jazz Brothers" with Rouse in dan. Jazzcraft

Earlier -

R-2919589-1533780460-1268.jpeg.jpg

Xanadu

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think he recorded for Storyville (or was it Sonet?) in the 70s but it was a brief comeback.

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Earlier -

R-2919589-1533780460-1268.jpeg.jpg

Xanadu

I think he recorded for Storyville (or was it Sonet?) in the 70s but it was a brief comeback.

Referring to Howard McGhee: 

Yes, maybe. I never saw him live. 
And I don´t know how he might have sounded at that late stage of his often interrupted career. 
I only noticed, that on the Charlie Parker Memorial on Video (I think it was done in London), which was in the Mid-60´s, he looks a bit worn out, and his chops seem to be a bit "rusty". Nothing left from the incredible fast runs and high notes he did in the 40´s. 
So I was not really curious to buy those late albums when they were probably around.....
The last sign of McGhee I read was a short time after that brief "comeback". It was an announcement in Down Beat, they tried to raise funds for Howard McGhee, who had some vascular problems I think. I don´t know if his son was with him when he died.....

Pat Martino - BAIYINA

ZWc.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, HutchFan said:

If you're enjoying that LP, you might want to check out Jones' next album, Hill Country Suite (Enja, 1974).  I think it's even better. ;) 

Is that so? I will look for it. I became an instant fan. What a tone on the instrument! Fluid sound!

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know this one. What is it like?

Rambunctious. Twin trombone over rolling Tippett. Great fun and well worth a visit.

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MDE5My5qcGVn.jpeg

Geri Allen - Twylight (Minor Music/Verve, 1989)
with Jaribu Shahid, Tani Tabbal, a.o.

One of the few Allen's I don't have. Should I rectify that?

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

One of the few Allen's I don't have. Should I rectify that?

I like it very much.  Helluva record.

I like how Allen integrates synthesizers with her piano on some of the cuts.  Distracting, out-of-place synths on jazz records in the 80's is almost a cliche.  But not Allen's.  The way that she deploys them is very creative and interesting.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I like it very much.  Helluva record.

I like how Allen integrates synthesizers with her piano on some of the cuts.  Distracting, out-of-place synths on jazz records in the 80's is almost a cliche.  But not Allen's.  The way that she deploys them is very creative and interesting.

Now that's a recommendation and a half, thanks. Over to Discogs I go...

cGVn.jpeg

Jaki Byard - On The Spot! [Prestige, France RP]