Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I knew the tunes only because once a sax player wanted to play it, he had sheets for Jody Grind, Nutville and Peace (which a knew anyway) . But I didn´t have the album. I´m no completist, but is it possible that this one was not reissued on that RVG series ? 

I seem to recall that Cook & Morton singled this out (with "Song For My Father") as one of Horace's best, in a catalogue of pretty solidly great LPs,

I duly bought it based on that recommendation. I like it well enough, but it's no "Cape Verdean Blues" IMO.

20 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51s+hXty+WL._SX355_.jpg

Horace Silver - The Jody Grind

got this as a filler in an order to take up space I guess. Its an original mono copy, assuming since they threw it in its not too valuable, but it is a Horace I don't have and after a spin on the record doctor it sound pretty darn good!

That is a good find - the original tapes for this one are AWOL I believe so unlikely to be a Tone Poet anytime soon (I would love to be proved wrong !) . The Liberty Mono sounds very good.

Don’t think it was issued as an RVG but it did come out as an early McMaster on CD - I have one.

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

I seem to recall that Cook & Morton singled this out (with "Song For My Father") as one of Horace's best, in a catalogue of pretty solidly great LPs,

I duly bought it based on that recommendation. I like it well enough, but it's no "Cape Verdean Blues" IMO.

I reckon it’s up there with ‘Cape Verdean’ but it’s all personal preference I guess. Horace of that vintage is incredibly consistent and excellent.

Edited by sidewinder

51o3aWt3ivL._SY355_.jpg

Bill Withers - Naked & Warm

Other than Live at Carnegie Hall this is my favorite Bill release. It's right there with Live. I don't know if it's because I have memories of listening to both as a kid or it's how funky the first half is. Plus City of Angels is in my opinion his finest song. 

14 hours ago, rdavenport said:

Cape Verdean Blues is a very fine album. As Song For my Father, though on my RVG of "Song" there are to many alternative tracks with some short numbers, that didn´t seem to be very interesant for me.

By the way, my wife and me have been 2 times  in Cabo Verde. Especially the first time (1998) there was not so much tourism and you had touch with the original population, and of course with the music. You heard it anywhere. And I was astonished how similar the themes are to those of Horace Silver. Really fine music.
The second time, 10 years later there were to many hotels and private houses of foreigners, and we had difficulties to recognize places and streets, that we had remembered from 1998.

10 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51o3aWt3ivL._SY355_.jpg

Bill Withers - Naked & Warm

Other than Live at Carnegie Hall this is my favorite Bill release. It's right there with Live. I don't know if it's because I have memories of listening to both as a kid or it's how funky the first half is. Plus City of Angels is in my opinion his finest song. 

Good one ....

36 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Did they send original stampers to the UK to be pressed into records? 

Not sure in the case of Pye/Nixa, although Esquire, who were contemporary to them, did use original stampers. Crucially though the vinyl quality is far, far superior to US Emarcy, which can be very variable at best. 

Edited by sidewinder

19 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That is a good find - the original tapes for this one are AWOL I believe so unlikely to be a Tone Poet anytime soon (I would love to be proved wrong !) . The Liberty Mono sounds very good.

Don’t think it was issued as an RVG but it did come out as an early McMaster on CD - I have one.

I reckon it’s up there with ‘Cape Verdean’ but it’s all personal preference I guess. Horace of that vintage is incredibly consistent and excellent.

Oh yes, I like all the Horace Silver Blue Notes, though the 3 United States of Mind albums I rarely listen to.

Perhaps subconsciously I was expecting something extra from Jody Grind, given the Cook & Morton recommendation - "zenith of finger-snapping intensity" or thereabouts, as I recall.

In my jazz salad days, with limited disposable income, no internet, and CDs being £15, there was a certain amount of agonising over what to buy. I seem to recall having to order the Jody Grind specially, and waiting for a few weeks, with a trip into Manchester to pick it up. It was good, but didn't live up the (perhaps self-inflicted) hype.