• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

NjEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Mike Westbrook Concert Band - Release [Deram, mono UK 1968]

Hopefully, the Westbrook Derams will get a quality vinyl reissue in the Decca ‘Explosion’ series.

Cover photo taken at Bovington Tank Museum?

horace-silver-stylings-of-silver-cover-1

47w63rd DG Mono, lovely big and precise sound. Incredible for an LP that is well over 60 years old !

Edited by sidewinder

46 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Hopefully, the Westbrook Derams will get a quality vinyl reissue in the Decca ‘Explosion’ series.

Cover photo taken at Bovington Tank Museum?

Yes maybe, but I suspect not more than one of them so that other artists can be covered. I'm not sure how many releases will emerge but I don't see it being so many as to allow multiple titles from artists. I hope I'm wrong.  Thankfully my copy is mint so I don't feel the need to upgrade.

I remember trips to that museum

On 2/11/2022 at 3:21 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Never actually listened to this one. Is it recommended?

Wikipedia is a bit weird about it.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:02 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

I love Sonny, but this doesn't live up to its promise, IMHO, YMMV, etc.  So, proceed with caution.

Rab, I suppose I'm with Dana.  It's interesting -- but it's not something that I play very often. 

23 hours ago, Brad said:

Terrific double lp set of various artists playing bebop icons, e.g., Sadik Hakim plays Bird, Al Haig plays Dizzy, Barry Harris plays Monk, etc. 

E74B539C-B91B-49CD-A037-33360397532D.jpeg

Nice. :tup

On 12.2.2022 at 10:27 PM, Brad said:

Terrific double lp set of various artists playing bebop icons, e.g., Sadik Hakim plays Bird, Al Haig plays Dizzy, Barry Harris plays Monk, etc. 

E74B539C-B91B-49CD-A037-33360397532D.jpeg

I have seen that cover often but I must admit it seemed I missed that when it was out. Was that in the late 70´s. I think I missed it than, since I didn´t buy albums with different musicians (I had a sampler-phobia) but this is not really a sampler. Okay, it must be nice. I´d be curious how Sadik Hakim sounds playing "Bird", since on the sides he plays with Bird he sounds very "stiff". 

I made the same mistake when I was looking for some Ornette Coleman that I didn´t have, and O.C. records were quite rare, and the dealer showed me a Charlie Haden album "The golden Number", and I didn´t buy it, because O.C. was only on part of it......now I´m sorry I didn´t buy it. 

On 2/14/2022 at 7:18 AM, Gheorghe said:

I have seen that cover often but I must admit it seemed I missed that when it was out. Was that in the late 70´s. I think I missed it than, since I didn´t buy albums with different musicians (I had a sampler-phobia) but this is not really a sampler. Okay, it must be nice. I´d be curious how Sadik Hakim sounds playing "Bird", since on the sides he plays with Bird he sounds very "stiff". 

I made the same mistake when I was looking for some Ornette Coleman that I didn´t have, and O.C. records were quite rare, and the dealer showed me a Charlie Haden album "The golden Number", and I didn´t buy it, because O.C. was only on part of it......now I´m sorry I didn´t buy it. 

It was recorded in 1980. Hakim sounds ok to me but Walter Bishop, who also plays some Bird song, sounds better, more fluent, if that makes sense. One oddity (or so it seemed to me) on this set is that John Lewis plays himself. 

17 hours ago, Brad said:

It was recorded in 1980. Hakim sounds ok to me but Walter Bishop, who also plays some Bird song, sounds better, more fluent, if that makes sense. One oddity (or so it seemed to me) on this set is that John Lewis plays himself. 

Well I can imagine, that "Bish" sounded more fluent. The Hakim solos I hear on some Savoy sides (Bird, Dexter) sound a bit strange. Mostly chromatic, and played in syncopes in a very stiff manner. I´m  self taught but I know that piano lessons for beginners often have chromatic exercises, and it sounds somehow like that. I´ve read somewhere that he didn´t even have a Union Card so on the Bird sides Dizzy is listed as piano player, if I remember right. 

Lewis playing "himself", well: Lewis was Lewis, and he did some very substantial compositions for the bop repertory: For example:  "Two Bass Hit" is one of the greatest sounding stuff in the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band

On the other hand, I wouldn´t have associated Jimmy Rowles so much with bop. I have him on some Dexter recording for Spotlite, I think it´s some ballads, but not much else. Considering my generation and what was it about in the 70´s, I saw his name for the first time on "Three or Four Shades of Blues" by Mingus, where he plays a short little waltz in C. Even then I wondered why they needed to get Jimmy Rowles in the studio only for that little section, since on the live versions I saw, Neloms played it, so I don´t really know why they called Rowles in the studio only for those few bars...., About the same time he was very much in demand as Ella´s pianist which he did really fine.... great mellow sounding chords...