• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning on my 'table:

ZWc.jpeg

Recorded in 1961.

Bassist Jimmy Woode was the first great bassist I  saw live. He came so often to Viena (I think he lived in Munich). Heard him with Griff when I was a teenie. 

George Wein All Stars was on a festival schedule here in 1985, But that was one of those festivals where you had to choose in which hall you go, like, I had to miss Lou Donaldson because at the same time was Jackie McLean in another hall, and maybe I missed George Wein since there was something else in another hall (it could have been Charlie Haden´s Liberation Orchestra or Pharoah Sanders), so I might have missed some of the more mainstream attractions.....

[IMG]

Pure Pleasure issue. It really sounds fantastic. I had the Harvest cd issue and a cd collector was prepared to pay 50’euros for my copy. I agreed and bought the 2 Lp set as a replacement of this fantastic record :)

Edited by Pim

54 minutes ago, Pim said:

[IMG]

Pure Pleasure issue. It really sounds fantastic. I had the Harvest cd issue and a cd collector was prepared to pay 50’euros for my copy. I agreed and bought the 2 Lp set as a replacement of this fantastic record :)

Pim - I think you came out on the better end of that bargain!  

I haven't yet decided whether to plop for that double-LP.  I have the CD -- but I don't have anyone waiting to buy it for $50!  :P 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have planned to write a story (a topic) about how it was there, but don´t know where (Miscellanious Music ? ) 

Sounds great.  I'd love to hear it. :tup 

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Why not .... just make sure to write it :D ....

Exactly!

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

George Wein All Stars was on a festival schedule here in 1985, But that was one of those festivals where you had to choose in which hall you go, like, I had to miss Lou Donaldson because at the same time was Jackie McLean in another hall, and maybe I missed George Wein since there was something else in another hall (it could have been Charlie Haden´s Liberation Orchestra or Pharoah Sanders), so I might have missed some of the more mainstream attractions.....

Good "problem" to have, no?  So many choices.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Pim said:

[IMG]

Those nice shelves are looking fuller :)

I've never quite got why 'Glass Bead Games' has the reputation it has.  I have tried to re-evaluate it so many times but to no avail. Maybe I need this edition rather than the Charly CD

I much prefer 'Clifford Jordan In The World'

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

I've never quite got why 'Glass Bead Games' has the reputation it has.  I have tried to re-evaluate it so many times but to no avail. Maybe I need this edition rather than the Charly CD

I am with you on these two's respective merits, although GBG has been growing on me recently.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Pim - I think you came out on the better end of that bargain!  

I haven't yet decided whether to plop for that double-LP.  I have the CD -- but I don't have anyone waiting to buy it for $50!  :P

Never expected to get that kind of money for it 👍 there are some records I own now on cd while I prefer a specific vinyl version. I just put the cd versions for the same price of that vinyl on Discogs. And then, with some luck….

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Those nice shelves are looking fuller :)

Haha yeah I have a strict monthly budget limit now. But birthday and Santa were very generous last year…. 

The Charly’s I own do not sound very well and I dislike their presentation. Pure Pleasure really did a great job. It sounds amazing. I like both of Jordan’s Strata East records but Glass Brad Games have a slight preference over In The World. The ‘John Coltrane’ composition is among my favorite jazz compositions and I like this version the best.

Edited by Pim

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

19 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I am with you on these two's respective merits, although GBG has been growing on me recently.

I think GBG is terrific -- but my favorite Clifford Jordan album is Night of the Mark VII, which also includes a tremendous version of "John Coltrane."

R-2973345-1474830219-2807.jpeg.jpg

UK CBS 2LP

Big fan of Glass Bead Games here. Not only is it a very good Clifford Jordan album - but also an excellent feature for Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins. I have the Strata-East double and also have it on the Clifford Jordan Mosaic set so will pass on the PP, fantastic as that no doubt is.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-2973345-1474830219-2807.jpeg.jpg

UK CBS 2LP

Big fan of Glass Bead Games here. Not only is it a very good Clifford Jordan album - but also an excellent feature for Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins. I have the Strata-East double and also have it on the Clifford Jordan Mosaic set so will pass on the PP, fantastic as that no doubt is.

That a great ‘70’s jazz session as well!