Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, Jaki Byard, ATFW USA. I also heard Jaki first, then moved backwards in time.

That´s it: Same generation, same sources of musical inspiration. 

In my case it was the stride section Byard plays on Parkeriana, since the ATFW USA didn´t appear on the original edition of the French 3 LP-Set "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus". It was written on the liner notes that it was the first piece, but that it was not well recorded and omitted . So the first stride I heard was in the couse or Jakies solo on Parkeriana. I loved that contrast between old and "new" and actually it was just my second "jazz album" (the first was Miles´ Steamin). 

To almost start listening to jazz by listening to Mingus´ 1964 touring band, I think, was a wonderful start into that wonderful music. You could hear some of the spirit of 60´s avantgarde mixed with lookin back to bop, and even stride. 

I got the ATFW USA a bit later when I purchased "Town Hall Concert" which was done just a few days before the european tour. 

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Herbie Hancock 'Flood', Japanese 1975 original. A bit of a nostalgia trip for me; I listened to this album a lot at age 20.

ZWc.jpeg

Yeah, great times, it was so new when I was at high school....

I am not a big Getz fan, but cannot help liking the bossa nova stuff. But I also like 'Sweet Rain'. Super-quiet Japanese vinyl:

ZWc.jpeg

All of the other players make this album especially enjoyable for me; Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Grady Tate. 

In the light of another recent thread on Getz, this statement in the liner notes does not come off too well: "Whatever Stan Wants Stan Getz". 

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I am not a big Getz fan, but cannot help liking the bossa nova stuff. But I also like 'Sweet Rain'. Super-quiet Japanese vinyl:

ZWc.jpeg

All of the other players make this album especially enjoyable for me; Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Grady Tate.  

I'm with you, Daniel.  

The best word to describe that record is sublime.  Like Kind of Blue, it's so beautiful that it doesn't seem like it's part of this world. 

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm with you, Daniel.  

The best word to describe that record is sublime.  Like Kind of Blue, it's so beautiful that it doesn't seem like it's part of this world. 

Well put. This album resonates with me in a way I cannot really explain. Even though I was born in the 70s, it feels like a slightly nostalgic flashback to the 1960s, as if I had memories from that time.

Now I'm listening to Joni Mitchell's 'Court and Spark', on a 1974 pressing (Discogs lists many pressings from that year alone, so it must have sold really well). Tom Scott usually does not get much attention over here, but his arrangements for this album work so well. He's not credited except for a couple of tracks, but it surely sounds like his voicings all over. I don't listen to him as a jazz saxophonist, but he's done really good work as a soundtrack composer and arranger, and really has a personal touch. 

cGVn.jpeg

Edit: BTW, HutchFan, have you heard the only track that has been released from a failed first attempt at this album, with Roy Haynes and Steve Swallow? There was a take of Windows on a Chick Corea retrospective box. 

Edited by Daniel A

Tom Scott is a good guy. Fond memories of seeing him and his band one Saturday in Tower Records, Santa Monica and signing his ‘Smokin’ Section’ CD for me.

Yes, the Getz ‘Sweet Rain’ album is sublime. Have it on a very good sounding UK 70s reissue.

Edited by sidewinder

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Edit: BTW, HutchFan, have you heard the only track that has been released from a failed first attempt at this album, with Roy Haynes and Steve Swallow? There was a take of Windows on a Chick Corea retrospective box. 

I haven't heard that.  Sounds interesting!

4 hours ago, porcy62 said:

ZWc.jpeg

Same! :)

qki5rwqjg9zws1mp3rw2ctdf.jpg

23 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I haven't heard that.  Sounds interesting!

It's in a GRP box from 1996, "Music Forever and Beyond". It was recorded at Van Gelders, but is not listed in any discography that I've seen. Allegedly, the session was unsuccessful because Getz was drunk. He sounds a bit lost at times, but it's exciting to hear the different rhythm section. 

In the early 2000s, there was talk about a potential 'Sweet Rain' reissue that would include some of this material (or potentially other unreleased tracks). According to what I heard, the Getz estate blocked it. There is a thread on that somewhere here.