What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I bought that LP when it first came out...don't know what you mean about the tracks "playing out of time"?

As for Ron Carter, that was how they did it then. CTI records were often used in stereo stores as demo records, in no small part due to that Ron Carter sound. People don't like it so much these days, but back in the day, it was money.

It sounds different to the CD / streamed versions to which I am accustomed, like the timing is wrong.

As for Ron Carter, I knew what I was getting into, but it's more noticeable than on the digital versions.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean the track durations are different?

As far as CTI vinyl in general, I'd say to stick to first-gen pressings as often as possible. Once they got really popular, and especially once their distribution went to Motown and others, it seemed to become a quantity over quality thing.

And absolutely, be ready for Ron Carter, that was a selling point for sure. Subwoofers were not really on the landscape back then, but Ron Carter bass and all the dolbyWhatNot in cinema that got ported over to home theatre and put into cars, hey...an apatite for uber-bass was identified and nurtured, and still exists to this day.

I had not played any vinyl for years, but I dug out a Savoy LP by Pepper Adams called "Pure Pepper". It is a reissue of "The Cool Sounds Of Pepper Adams", but with an alternate take of one track added to the original four long tracks. The alternate take has never appeared on a CD. With Pepper are Bernard McKinney (euphonium), Hank Jones, George Duvivier and Elvin. It's a very tasty session. Euphonium might bring to mind oompah, but it's like a smooth version of a valve trombone, so nothing to be scared of.

That was followed by another Savoy LP: "Blues-Ette, Volume 2“, by Curtis Fuller. It mirrors the original LP by having an alternate take of all six pieces. Only three of these have appeared on CD. This LP is well hidden on Discogs. There is another Fuller LP consisting entirely of alternate takes, none of which has appeared on a CD. I plan to get that soon. Curtis was an excellent player, and the lineups on those sessions are first-rate.

A Mosaic set of 1950s Savoy sessions would be great, and Michael Cuscuna agreed when I mentioned it to him several years ago. I don't think it will ever happen, though.

Finally, on vinyl, the James Johnson solos in a Mosaic set with several other people. The origin of Fats Waller.

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More Prez:

MS04NjkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Lester Young - Lester Swings (Verve, 2 LPs)
recordings from 1945, 1950-51

It´s astonishing how Lester on this painting looks very similar to the painting of Dexter on "Homecoming". I mean, when Homecoming came out and I purchased it, I was surprised that the painting of Dexter on the cover is so similar to Lester´s . 

Joseph Jarman and Don Moye - Black Paladins

Black_Paladins.jpg

Now on:

Illinois Jacquet - Bottoms Up

Bottoms_Up_(Illinois_Jacquet_album).jpg

Fun morning.

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71ReQp2Q2qL._SL500_.jpg

I prevailed on a casual jazz fan friend of mine to buy this record recently, when we saw it in Ray's Jazz for £3. He really loved it, which is nice: great playing, unusual (if all you've heard is hard bop), and an interesting back story to all the characters involved.

Edited by Rabshakeh

R-9697200-1484941342-8355.jpeg.jpg

19 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Finally, on vinyl, the James Johnson solos in a Mosaic set with several other people. The origin of Fats Waller.

On the Edmond Hall etc. Blue Note set - I was playing those sides the other day. Without a doubt James P. was one of the most important and under-rated figures in jazz, bridging ragtime and early jazz. Fats Waller was his prodigy I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s astonishing how Lester on this painting looks very similar to the painting of Dexter on "Homecoming". I mean, when Homecoming came out and I purchased it, I was surprised that the painting of Dexter on the cover is so similar to Lester´s . 

Weren’t those paintings used for those 2LP sets auctioned off on behalf of Bruce Lundvall’s estate after he passed?  I remember seeing the Lester one at least.

Edited by sidewinder

MjUtODY3OS5qcGVn.jpeg

24 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

On the Edmond Hall etc. Blue Note set - I was playing those sides the other day. Without a doubt James P. was one of the most important and under-rated figures in jazz, bridging ragtime and early jazz. Fats Waller was his prodigy I believe.

Do you mean I have to buy the set?:D

2 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Do you mean I have to buy the set?:D

Daft question ! :lol:

Yes, I recommend it. There’s a good mix of fine early jazz on there including the Edmond Hall ‘Celeste Quartet’ and of course this material helped to put Blue Note on the map. I think it was an early Mosaic release, by the Lowrie/Cuscuna team.

Good choice there with the Jazzman ‘Shades of Blue’ :tup