• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

1-DD41-EAB-9881-49-EE-840-C-9-BBDFB1733-

I love this record. I'm glad that the 'spiritual jazz' craze has led to its being reissued.

Currently spinning this one:

Carlos Garnett - Journey To Enlightenment (Muse, 1974)Journey_to_Enlightenment.jpg

This is a recent acquisition. Apparently a reissue although I can't see any sign that it has been reissued. Perhaps it's a rip, but it sounds absolutely great.

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I love this record. I'm glad that the 'spiritual jazz' craze has led to its being reissued.

Currently spinning this one:

Carlos Garnett - Journey To Enlightenment (Muse, 1974)Journey_to_Enlightenment.jpg

This is a recent acquisition. Apparently a reissue although I can't see any sign that it has been reissued. Perhaps it's a rip, but it sounds absolutely great.

Must say I have to be in the mood for it but when I am..... About the Azar Lawrence: it's his date but does not feel like it. It's Woody Shaw, Julian Priester en especially Arthur Blythe that are absolutely killing it. Lawrence isn't bad, but it just feel's like he was a sideman. Don't know if other people feel that way too. 

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

Must say I have to be in the mood for it but when I am..... About the Azar Lawrence: it's his date but does not feel like it. It's Woody Shaw, Julian Priester en especially Arthur Blythe that are absolutely killing it. Lawrence isn't bad, but it just feel's like he was a sideman. Don't know if other people feel that way too. 

I agree. He's the kind of player that wows you with solos on other people's records. But he is good at that (I'm thinking of McCoy Tyner's early 70s stuff, obviously).

I think what I like about this record is exactly what you point to: that Lawrence sets the mood and then just plays like one of the group, and the group plays well.

I'm not sure that any of his other records work out quite as well.

He's still alive and quite active on twitter, by the way.

Edited by Rabshakeh