• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, porcy62 said:

NY mono.

:tup

HCD-2062-Bill-Evans-Inner-Spirit.jpeg?fi

Another good one from Resonance. Well recorded and Evans’ Trio in fine form in the run up to the final period.

Sound is fine - maybe a bit distant perhaps in what must have been a large auditorium but more than acceptable, nice and crisp.

Edited by sidewinder

On 24/04/2022 at 1:14 PM, sidewinder said:

Picked up the Ayler from JazzMessengers - by some miracle they had it in stock. The Pepper Adams too. That’s me done for at least 12 months. :)

Ayler is always interesting and the Fondation Maeght stuff is worth hearing even if it's uneven but this set was too pricey. Especially as I've already spent too much on darkroom equipment this month.  I'm waiting on the CD edition as I picked up the Mingus and the Evans (73) on RSD from a local church. 

1 minute ago, Clunky said:

Ayler is always interesting and the Fondation Maeght stuff is worth hearing even if it's uneven but this set was too pricey. Especially as I've already spent too much on darkroom equipment this month.  I'm waiting on the CD edition as I picked up the Mingus and the Evans (73) on RSD from a local church. 

JazzMessengers seemed to have had a fair number (at least 15) in stock - at least for a few hours until they sold out. Their price was good too - certainly better than that asked by most UK stores on the day. It’s sure to be a good release and apparently the sound has been much cleaned up - the CD version will be fine too.

Very happy with the 2 Bill Evans sets. The notes on that 1979 set really illuminate the background to that tour.

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

JazzMessengers seemed to have had a fair number (at least 15) in stock - at least for a few hours until they sold out. Their price was good too - certainly better than that asked by most UK stores on the day. It’s sure to be a good release and apparently the sound has been much cleaned up - the CD version will be fine too.

Very happy with the 2 Bill Evans sets. The notes on that 1979 set really illuminate the background to that tour.

I didn't go for the '79 set but settled on the '73 as it got the nod in Jazzwize fwiw. Interestingly the CD version is around £55-60 on pre-order which makes 150 euros from JM seem very reasonable indeed. I for one rather hate the RSD effect of bouncing me into purchases without the chance to hear much in the way of samples prior to release day. It's obviously a business model which must work well for Resonance etc 

7 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I didn't go for the '79 set but settled on the '73 as it got the nod in Jazzwize fwiw. Interestingly the CD version is around £55-60 on pre-order which makes 150 euros from JM seem very reasonable indeed. I for one rather hate the RSD effect of bouncing me into purchases without the chance to hear much in the way of samples prior to release day. It's obviously a business model which must work well for Resonance etc 

The ‘79 set was a ‘must have’ for me, having seen the group in their last UK week in 1980. Very nostalgic, as they played quite a number of the same tunes on the 2LP set (‘Theme from Mash’, ‘Laurie’, ‘If You Could See Me Now’, ‘Nardis’). 

Both sets I think have been getting very good write ups - as you say, Jazzwise gives the earlier set the edge. I’ll give the ‘73 set a spin tonight.

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Incredible LP.

Usually I´m only into music on this forum, but being a fisherman also (my second live long passion) I noticed the rainbow trout. But you are not supposed to grab it that way ;)

14 hours ago, mjazzg said:

MC0yOTY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Akira Miyazawa, Masahiko Satoh, Masahiko Togashi, Yasuo Arakawa - Four Units [Union Records, Japan RE]

That´s what I meant about the rainbow trout